Replacing Door Magnetic Seal

Started by starship, July 09, 2009, 02:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starship

The bottom part of the door seal  came loose and rolled under.  I have ordered a replacement from Yard & Pool.  Has anyone else had to change one?  It looks like I have to roll the seal out wards, and take off screws to removed the inner door panel. Replace seal on panel, and re-install.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Ka Honu

Not exactly sure what you're describing but if it's the door gasket, I had a similar problem (here).  If that's the same issue, you should have checked with Bradley first to see if they'd replace the gasket under warranty.  To replace the gasket you have to take off all the screws and remove the panel. Not complicated, but tedious.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Starship

That's exactly what you have to do to replace the door seal,
Don't forget the two tabs that are on the bottom they help keep the gasket from sagging when heated.

Brian

Ka Honu

... and God knows you don't want a saggy gasket.

pymptyte

My door seal have melted . If I replace it how do I stop this from happening again . It seems like a really bad design flaw .

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

pymptyte

Really not happy with brand new smoker and after two uses door seal is bad .

Using Tapatalk

Saber 4

This is good timing on this post, I just got my replacement door seal in the mail along with a spare element to have on hand for emergencies. ;D

Quote from: pymptyte on March 24, 2014, 03:12:22 PM
My door seal have melted . If I replace it how do I stop this from happening again . It seems like a really bad design flaw .

Did you by chance have your top vent closed? That can cause a high moisture/high temp situation that could have resulted in your melted seal.

pymptyte

No it was all the way open cause some of my family don't like food to smokey . It's the part of seal around and side where the hinges are . I would return the thing but got as Christmas gift and can't find receipt . I'm very unhappy with it and been lookin at other types . I'm not trying to replace seal after every few uses .

Using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Hi pymptyte;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum under such circumstances.

You are under warranty, call Bradley for a replacement seal. If you didn't register the smoker yet, when you call have your serial number handy; it is located on the back panel. When you call, explain to them that it melted, because that should not have happened.

Contact Information:
Phone: Our phone lines are open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  CST Monday through Friday
Customer Service Toll Free: (866) 508-7514 Local: (309) 343-1124 Fax: (309) 343-1126
See more at: http://www.north-america.bradleysmoker.com/contact/#sthash.Ce17C501.dpuf

Those seals should withstand the highest temperature that the Bradley can produce, though it will become stiffer over time. I'm not sure what happened in your situation, but I've had my Bradly for almost 10 years, until the seal got too stiff to work effectively, but it didn't melt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: pymptyte on March 24, 2014, 03:12:22 PM

I've had my Bradley for over 3 years and the seal is still good.  How high do you run the chamber temp?

pymptyte

Yeah I was running it at a high temp but only to what it's designed to do i was not making it hotter than it is suppose to with stand . I'm going to call and see about getting a new gasket seal but I'm really kinda bummed cause I don't want to keep replacing it after a few uses . Do you all think it could be malfunctioning and cooking harder than what it is supposed too ? Maybe next time I should run my own temperature gauge in it .

Using Tapatalk

Tenpoint5

Don't take this wrong but this has to be the first time I have heard of someone complaining that their Bradley got too hot on them while cooking.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I have added an additional element to my Bradley, and have had my cabinet up to 300°F, and I have never had any melting of the magnetic seal.

What was the temperature on the door thermometer. The cabinet has a high temperature sensor that will shut your heat off it the temperature gets beyond a certain point. Even if it had failed, you only have 500watts, plus another 125watts or so from the bisquettes burner. I don't believe that would melt a silicone seal. The seal itself may have been made from inferior materials, so it is important that you let Bradley know the seal melted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pymptyte

Im not complaining cause i like cookin at a higher temp . I wouldn't think temperature would be a problem be must be a flaw in seal .

Using Tapatalk

TedEbear

2-3 people have asked this already but you haven't answered.  What temp did you have the chamber temp at?  The "low and slow" Bradley smoker is not designed to run at higher temps like a regular kitchen oven.