Leave skin on? or not..

Started by Beerbrewer, July 10, 2009, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerbrewer

Next smoke is going to be a pork shoulder.Is it "better"to leave the skin on? or take it off? or does it really matter.Would leaving the skin on affect the amount of smoke that permeates through the meat?
"They always talk of my drinking, but not of my thirst"

mikecorn.1

I would leave it on.  Fat = flavor.  :D
Mike

Toker

I just made one skinless better smoked taste.   :P

Tenpoint5

Cut the Skin OFF. Leave the majority of the fat still on the shoulder. Mike is correct in saying that Fat is Flavor! The purpose of leaving the fat on is to self baste the meat. With the longer cook times and the lower temps the fat will slowly disintegrate and permeate the meat. Leaving you with a moist and delicious selection of meat. I would apply smoke until 145* IT, wrap in foil with a splash of apple juice, Then take the meat to an IT of 190-200* for fall apart deliciousness!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

swseitz

I just did one (my first one) with the skin on and it tasted pretty good.  Smoked 4 hours with hickory and the skin and fat facing up and it seemed to get good smoke flavour.  Mine was tied with string and so I opted to leave it as it was.  I read another post where someone recommended scoring the skin several times down to the meat.

manxman

QuoteCut the Skin OFF. Leave the majority of the fat still on the shoulder.

I am with 10.5 on this, skin off.  :)
Manxman

3rensho

Just did one yesterday - skin off, fat on.  Sucker was delicious, juicy and falling apart tender at IT 184.  Ate it with N.C. sauce, some slaw, hush puppies and a glass or three of Zinfandel.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

pensrock

I'm getting ready to put two in right now, skin off fat on, they always come out great.

KyNola

beefmann