Portabella mushrooms

Started by smokey bonz, February 08, 2005, 10:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey bonz

Clear the SMOKE for a minute fellow SMOKERS!!.[:p]

I have a question for you guys, and oh ya, you gals too[;)]. Has anybody smoked portabella mushrooms, and if so, how long[?] Would like to make some kind of portabella mushroom "pocket" with pita bread. What else would be gooood to "stuff" in the pocket[?]. Thanks for all your replys[:D]

Chez Bubba

I've never done it, but your proposal sounds fine[:p]. My gut tells me, as porous as mushrooms are, they would absorb the smoke very quickly like bread. I don't think I'd smoke them very long on the first try, maybe 1/2 hour.

As far as accompaniments, roasted red peppers and feta or swiss cheese come to mind.

You're the man-on-a-mission, please report back what you find. My tummy awaits![:p][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

How 'bout some steak or chicken to go along with the cheese and smoked 'shrooms?  Sounds good.  You could use the big whole caps and just make a "burger" out of it?

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

I only attempted portabellas once. I used the recipe in "Smoke & Spice". I'm sure if they are done right, they come out great, or they would not have added the recipe to their book.

My experience was not good. I only used one puck, and the mushrooms tasted like ash, though I did use hickory, maybe alder would have been better. Also, I don't believe that I left them in the smoker long enough. The recipe called for 20-25 minutes, which is way to short. When you do smoke them, make sure it is just enough for what you are going to consume at that time. They do not store well after they are cooked and refrigerated. Once refrigerated, they quickly become mushy and watery.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

Though I have never smoked them I would thing they would sop the smoke up like a sponge.  The wife and I love 'em, the best deal for the large caps are at Sams around here.  We just grill them with ALOT of Butter and Garlic.  They are great.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

humpa

MW....cook em up and I'll be over for dinner....Those are great!!

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

MallardWacker

Ernie,

They almost remind of some sort of steak, they are that good.  Even for those who do not like shrooms, man got to try these on the grill!!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

smokey bonz

Portabella Mushrooms[:p]

Sorry for not replying sooner with the results[V]. I smoked the mushrooms for about 20 minutes with apple bisquetts at about 175 degrees. Also smoked some aunduie(spelt wrong I'm sure) sausage for about 1 hour and some sweet onion. Put the mushrooms and onions with the sausage and a little smoked bacon with feta cheese in a pita pocket with some chipolti sauce. God, were those pockets goood[:D]!!. I will definitily be making those again. Thanks to everyones input[;)]

oguard

I wonder if cold smoking the mushrooms first and the cooking them would work?[?]I think I will try this project on the weekend maybe an hour of maple or alder[:)]
BTW I didn't think there was a taste difference in smoke(maple,alder,apple,etc.)until I got a Bradley.[:)][:p]
Keep on smokin[8D]
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

psdubl07

I would guess mushrooms are a bit tricky because they have so much water in them.

If you like Portabellas though, you HAVE to try this:

Mix together some good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and roughly chop a few cloves of garlic.  Throw that in a large ziploc w/ 3-4 portabellas, stem removed, and a couple of grinds of fresh pepper.  
3 hours is good, but overnight is really how you want to do this.  Take them out and put a LIGHT sprinkle of salt on each one and give them a good 5 minutes, gill side down, on a fairly hot grill.  Flip, and another 3-5 mins cap side down.  you're looking for a bit of char on them.
I slice them on a cutting board and get about four, 1-inch pieces per 'shroom.  They are so juicy and good, they never even make it to a serving platter, no joke.  These things are incredible!

I've experimented w/ fresh herbs and such too, but I find simplest is best with these.  Enjoy.  [:D]