Rib Roast

Started by Bassman, February 01, 2004, 01:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regforte

Kirk, you're right on the money about injecting. If it's done improperly it
actually makes the meat worse by creating big, mushy spots. I do inject on
occasion, and when I do I try and use a certain technique to avoid
ruining the meat.

I inject for 2 reasons: for flavor and to speed up brining/curing times.
In order to inject properly it helps to have a multi-orifice needle,
known as a spray pump. Instead of one hole at the end the needle also
has several along the side to help distribute the injection stuff to help avoid
pockets. Here's one that The Sausage Maker carries:

Spray Pump

Technique is also important. When you inject you want to push the needle
in deeply and then slowly draw it back out as you inject. This deposits
the injection stuff in long "veins" instead of small pockets. Distributing
the injection evenly over the widest possible area is the key to avoiding
mushiness.

I also use larding from time to time, although I use it less than
injection. I think it works best on cheaper cuts of beef like round, etc.
I've not found a need to use it on pork, or on cuts of beef that are
cooked to higher temperature like brisket, chuck, etc.

My preferred source of lard is big, fatty pieces of pork belly. It's
the same stuff they make bacon out of (not buckboard bacon or loin
bacon, but regular bacon). If it's not in your regular supermarket you may be
able to find it in Mexican or Asian markets (those folks know how to eat!).

whitetailfan

I've pulled out 2 standing rib roasts for tomorrow's Canada Day festivities[:D]

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for rubs and possible cooking times.  I would guess that they are probably 3 pounders like Bassman's...I'll weigh them tonight.

What was your red-wine marinade like Bass?  Recipe?

I was planning on doing a straight dry rub.  I'll probably rub the ribs as well, but cut them from the roast and then position over top of the roasts similar to Kirk's bacon trick.

I'm thinking second highest rack if it will fit under #1 for the meat , third rack if the roasts are too tall.

Most important advise is cooking time, because I did pork butts for over 10 hours and I need to make sure these are cooked, but if I only need 3 hrs versus 10, then I'll be done cooking supper at 11:00 in the morning[:(]  Tough to towel wrap and keep warm for seven hours I would think[;)]

Everyone have a great Canada Day, and for those of you down south, Bass, Fuzz, Mallard etc, happy Independence Day to y'all Sunday.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

WhiteTail,
Here is the Red Wine Marinate. Only thing I would change is adding more wine.[:D]evrything else turned out really good. Good luck with your roasts[:p].

RED WINE MARINADE

1/3 cup Olive Oil
   Juice of 1 lemon
   1 cup red wine (dry)
   1tsp. ketchup
   2 minced garlic cloves
   ¼ tsp barbecue seasoning
   1 tsp dry mustard
   1 tsp Dijon mustard
   ¼ tsp thyme
   1 bay leaf, crumbled
   1 sprig of rosemary
   ½ tsp salt
   Black pepper
   1 small onion
   1tbl Worcestershire

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

whitetailfan

Thanks for the reply Jack, but with the time I had remaining until the cook date, I stuck with my original plan of dry rub.  If memory serves, the roasts were about five pounds total.

I used the Cajun Ragin and Sweet Sensations rubs from smoke&spice one on each roast.  Both turned out wonderful[:p], and it gave variety to the guests since this was experimental.  Everyone like the sweet and the ragin was good too, but a bit spicy on the edges for most of us.  One guy loves spicy and it was his favorite, but next time for personal pref, I'm gonna cut down on the cayanne - turns you a little red[:(!] ha ha...

I lost track of time at the July 1 festivites across town and by the time I got back to the house, I think the roasts went in at just before 3:00pm.  What was amazing (even though I lost control of temp for under an hour at over 250deg) it only took a couple of hours +/- to hit 140 rare internal.  Since I had time to spare, I left on for another half hour because we like it done a little more than that.

Pulled off at 147deg with half hour before meal and did the tin foil, towel, igloo cooler trick to let juices rotate and it stayed nice and warm - I have no problems in doing that in the future - nearly zero heat loss!

Overall very successful Canada Day - thanks to any and all who contributed to my success through their tips over the last 4-5 months.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

<font color="red"><font size="4"><b>Bassman's Red Wine Marinate added</b></font id="size4"></font id="red">

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!