Smoke In Miami

Started by JF7FSU, July 13, 2009, 03:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

Hi All,

I am a long time gas and charcoal griller, never smoked anything outside my gas grill before.  I know I am missing out so I finally ordered my 4 level electric smoker.  I also ordered a cover, some pucks and a bubba puck.   I imagine the thing comes with a decent instruction manual because I don't even know where to start.   Is there a "Newbie guide" or a quick start guide somewhere?  I would like to read up before it comes so I can go right to work and smoke something.   It should be here in 5 days.   

Any other tips or accessories i may need?

thanks!

Jeff  (JF7FSU)
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

deb415611

Jeff,

Welcome!

Here is a link to the FAQs at the recipe site  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481
Also, the directory of the recipe site, lots of good info & recipes from the members  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

Lot's of other accessories that you will think you will need if you read enough.... but other than what you have ordered I would recommend a good remote thermometer such as the Maverick ET-73

Deb

Caneyscud

Welcome Jeff

Deb has you going in the right direction.  The manual is indeed ok to get you started - shows you where to plug in things and tells you to season the unit.  But for recipes, troubleshooting, modifying, and techniques, rely on this site and the recipe site Deb linked to.  No place better to get this info from!  Hoping (but know you will) enjoy your new Bradley.  It will open up arenas of smoking you haven't though about yet!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome aboard Jeff,

You've come to the right place to learn how to use that new Bradley. Lot's of great posts and if you have questions, you will get them answered here.

Have fun, post results (with pictures).  ;D Here is link on posting pictures by the way.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11
HawkeyeSmokes

JF7FSU

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  I read the FAQ and the only part I wasn't getting was the cures and Morton Tender Quick.  Do you have to use this stuff to smoke?  I thought I could use my own rub and that would be it?  also I was looking at some of the recipes and they seem like pretty big portions.  Also what is the reference to ramp on ramp off in some of the recipe's?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: JF7FSU on July 13, 2009, 04:57:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  I read the FAQ and the only part I wasn't getting was the cures and Morton Tender Quick.  Do you have to use this stuff to smoke?  I thought I could use my own rub and that would be it?  also I was looking at some of the recipes and they seem like pretty big portions.  Also what is the reference to ramp on ramp off in some of the recipe's?

You only need the cures/Morton TQ if you want to do things like sausage, bacon, ham etc. For meats like pork butt, brisket, ribs, chicken your own rubs will be just fine. If you want to do some cured and smoked items, check the posts from people like Nepas, Mr Walleye, Habanero Smoker and others. Ask them some questions and they will be more than happy to help you out. As far as portion size, you can always adjust to fit your needs. But you might be surprised, the great results do go fast.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum JF7

No need to say much more cuz they got ya covered.

nepas

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum JF7FSU!

Nice to see another Floridian on board.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Welcome JF7! Sounds like your on track. By the time your box hits the front step, you will be good to go!

mikeradio

Welcome   Great information here, still learning :)

Oldman

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 14, 2009, 09:36:51 AM
W E L C O M E  to the Forum JF7FSU!

Nice to see another Floridian on board.
Yepper, I'm in ST. Petersburg... Floridians United In SMOKE~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

smokeitall

Welcome aboard miami smoke

seemore

welcome have fun
seemore

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Jeff and welcome to the forum,

I strongly suggest that you forget about manuals, instructions and links. You have over 1000 good folks here that are more that willing and able to assist you in anything you need. Depend on Bradley and all the good people WHO have counted on it to impress their family and friends over dinners and outings.

Best of luck

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

JF7FSU

Thanks everyone, my baby comes in tomorrow. My bubba pucks came in today and hopefully my biscuits come in tomorrow as well so I can season it right away.  So the only thing left is what is  ramp on ramp off? Is this a reference to the smoke generator?

Thanks!
Jeff