New guy from San Diego

Started by HCAO, July 13, 2009, 11:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCAO

The ribs are marinating in the fridge!  Got a couple of questions.

Which side goes on top?  I know you're not supposed to flip it.  I'm thinking the side i peeled the membrane off goes on the bottom?  

What do i set the vent on top at? 

Can I have some sauce suggestions?  Something not too hard to find.  I need to be able to get it tomorrow locally.  I have a good butchershop down the road (Iowa Meat Farms) that should have a decent selection.  Thanks!

OU812

Cook with the bone side down

Keep the vent at least half open

I dont sauce mine till they are done then its just a light brush of KC Masterpiece origanal

Gizmo

For Store bought, try Bull's Eye.  If you want to make your own here is one that KyNola posted.  I have made this and would kick the heat up a little.  You can adjust to taste though.

L A Sauce by KyNola

1 HEAPING tsp BBQ spice (Check the local Kroger's spice rack, they have it as does McCormick.  Alternative, use the BBQ spice mix of your choice.)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 cup water
1 cup catsup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
scant tsp of sugar

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.  This sauce is so much better if you can make it at least a day in advance.

Hope you enjoy.

R.I.P. L.A., your legacy lives on. 

KyNola

Title: Barbeque Spice Mixture
Categories: Spice mix
      Yield: 1 batch

1/2 c  Chili powder
    1/4 c  Hickory flavored salt
      3 T  Onion Powder
      2 T  Cumin
      1 T  Paprika
      1 T  Garlic
      1 T  Brown sugar
      1 t  Cayenne pepper
    1/2 t  Dry Mustard
    1/2 t  Lemon Zest
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HCAO

up at 5am to start smoking the ribs in time for lunch

Tenpoint5

Good Luck HCAO. No Fear the ribs will turn out great!! I'm sure the Mrs. will appreciate the effort.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HCAO

where do you guys put the maverick cabinet probe for the most accurate result?  i was going to put it through the top vent, but it hits the meat.  i thought that wouldn't be good for accuracy, so i stuck it in the door and rested it on the side of one of the vents.  it reads about 10 degrees lower than the bradley door thermometer.

cabinet temps taking a long time to recover.  about 40 mins so far and it hasn't recovered from the 100F drop from when i loaded the meat.

HCAO

i think the problem is that my meat wasn't at room temp when i put it in.  i only had it out for about 30 mins, so it was still cold.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: HCAO on July 25, 2009, 06:35:08 AM
where do you guys put the maverick cabinet probe for the most accurate result?  i was going to put it through the top vent, but it hits the meat.  i thought that wouldn't be good for accuracy, so i stuck it in the door and rested it on the side of one of the vents.  it reads about 10 degrees lower than the bradley door thermometer.

cabinet temps taking a long time to recover.  about 40 mins so far and it hasn't recovered from the 100F drop from when i loaded the meat.

I like to hang my probe from the bottom rack that I'm using. Just took a paper clip and bent two small pieces to hold the probe. Run the cable through the door also. Did you preheat the smoker before putting the ribs in? I let mine go to about 260 before starting the smoke and loading the meat. Seems to help a lot on the recovery time as does letting the meat come to room temp as you mentioned. The ribs should be fine, you may just have a later lunch is all. Good luck.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

HCAO

yes, i did let the temp go up to 250-260 before i put the meat in..it still dropped to about 120. 

Tenpoint5

Sounds like you put a full load of ribs in there, 4 racks worth. That's a lot of cold meat. The smoke IS doing its thing even though the temp is slow to recover. Open the vent to about 3/4 (to let the heat robbing moisture out) Go get a cold beer or two and wait for the 3 hour mark from when you put the ribs in. DO NOT PEEK into the cabinet until then. Watching the temp come back up is like watching water boil it aint gonna happen with you looking every 2 minutes.

To help kill some time waiting here's a link to how I do my ribs in the Bradley Ribs In a Bradley

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HCAO

tenpoint5...your guide was the one i was going off of.  except i'm going to smoke for 4 hours with apple, then foil and 2 hours in the house oven.

HCAO

just another 45 mins of smoke...almost done...  been resisting the urge to peek all morning..  cant wait to see what it looks like...forgot to take a pic before, but i'll try to remember to take one before foiling

Tenpoint5

I'm guessing that the temp came back up for you you sound a little less tense. Don't forget the pics We Love the pics!

HCAO

hah i was still half asleep!

SUCCESS!  fed 7 people and have just a little extra for gizmo to sample.  it tasted great..everyone loved it.  Thanks everyone!  pics to follow tonight.

Gizmo

Wooohooo,
Samples.
Great Job HC.  Looking forward to the pictures.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/