Smoked Steelhead Trout

Started by MrRaven, June 02, 2012, 06:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrRaven

A friend dropped off a steelhead trout. I am not a fisherman but I was thrilled to get my hands on this and get it in the smoker. I tried a dry brine this time as I usually use a wet brine. I was really happy with how it turned out. I brined it overnight and I was amazed how much liquid was drawn out of the fish - the pick below is after hours in the brine. I rinsed the brine off and let the fish dry to form a pellicle. Then in the smoker. Loved it. Nothing like smoked fish.

This was my dry brine recipe based off of Skewy's recipe in his thread for smoking the rainbow trout.

6 cups of brown sugar
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper

http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2012/05/smoked-steelhead-trout/

KyNola

Nice going!  That looks great.

mikecorn.1

That trout looks delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

sparky1

wow, that looks really good.  love smoked trout.
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

Up In Smoke

I am not much of a fish person but that recipe and those pics have me ready to go fishing!!
i am bookmarking this page.
i may have to try this one......Thanks for posting.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

sdcaller

I did 15lbs of Lake Trout fillets today. I used a dry cure as well. Very basic, 3 parts brown sugar to 1 part pickling/coarse  salt. Left it in the cure overnight, washed it off and let it dry and then into the smoker like you did.

I got this recipe from the internet and it is supposed to produce what they call "Indian Candy" on the West Coast. I've used it with my old Luhr Jensen smoker before I got my Bradley and it produces a good product.

I used a mixture of apple and cherry bisquettes for 2 hours at 120 degrees, 2 more hours with no smoke at 140 degrees and 2 more hours with no smoke at 160 degrees. Then I brushed it with honey and left it in the smoker for 1 more hour at 160 degrees.

Turned out real good.
SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

muebe

Beautiful job on the fish ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smoker John

Nice looking fish, looks tasty
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

SoCalBill

SiFumar

skewy

Looks awesome!!  I think like I need to go fishing on fathers day...
Parkinsons adds movement to my jig...

slowpoke

That looks some tasty.Great job.I'm hungry now ;D
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.