Smoked walleye

Started by gbsorenson, July 15, 2009, 05:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbsorenson

My 9 yr old caught a couple of nice 'eye's last weekend while at our friends cabin, so, since I couldn't convince him to let the biggest one go I decided I'd try smoking a couple, the biggest two weighed in at 4.8 and 3.3 #'s. Here is a picture of the biggest one.....long before smoking  ;)

I made the brine from a recipe I found on this site, can't recall who's it was but it turned out great, overnight and allowed to sit for about 3 hrs after rinsing.

Into the smoker, 2 hrs of apple, tried to do that at 120 but had a hard time keeping the temp below 130, then another 3 hrs at about 140, the last two hrs I bumped it up to 170. Here is the finished product.

I just had a small sample, tasted really good I thought. This morning I vac sealed two of the fillets and will keep the other two out for snacking on. Really like the little bit of spice you get from the cayenne in the brine!

OU812

Nice catch.
I bet the old man was more excited then the young man.
Smoked Walleye sounds good,the finished product looks good to.

gbsorenson

Yea it's always fun to see the kids get excited about fishing! It's something I grew up doing and have carried it on to my kids. He's caught plenty of 'eye's over the years but he's certainly getting better. BTW, he caught 3 and I got skunked! You don't need to think I haven't heard about it either.  ;D

gcn11

Living in Northern Manitoba, I catch literally hundreds of walleye every year...a 50 walleye day is common and limiting out is done EVERY time....no exceptions. Naturally, a good fisherman does so because he likes eating his product as well as catching them. For many years people told me you could not smoke walleye because it was not fatty enough and dried out too easily. While partially true (temperature must be controlled) it can be done to great success. I have smoked walleye 4-5 times a year in 6 fish batches (Manitoba limit) and have never had a bad batch yet. The nice thing about smoking walleye is that they can be totally deboned before the smoking process. I highly recommend anyone who likes smoking freshwater fish but haven't tried walleye to do so.

Rye-Guy

I have never smoked walleye ,this is good idea always just pan fry the walleye. smoked all kinds of other fish but never walleye. Soon as fishing opens back up ill have to go get a few. You leave the skin on and do you remove the scales?

muebe

Great catch by your son! My father and I did not do much together when I was young but fishing and shooting were the two things we did together. I do treasure those times together ;)

Nice color on the fish. You dun reel gud :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

gcn11

Quote from: Rye-Guy on April 22, 2012, 08:06:52 AM
I have never smoked walleye ,this is good idea always just pan fry the walleye. smoked all kinds of other fish but never walleye. Soon as fishing opens back up ill have to go get a few. You leave the skin on and do you remove the scales?

If you are from Winnipeg Beach you are probably really familiar with Smoked Whitefish. I do my pickerel exactly the same way. Skin on and no need for scaling. Just have to be a little more careful with your temps so as not to dry out.

cobra6223

very nice looking fish !! Would you share the brine recipe? Thanks Tim

JZ

When father and son fish together the memories last a lifetime. My father taught me to fish, I taught my son and I know he will teach is son (and if he doesn't I will). Boys that fish at an early age and spend time with their fathers will turn out to be contributors to their community when they grow up.  8)

Oh and the fish looks great too. ;D

umbrellalady

I smoked pickerel, perch and trout several times now and all turned out excellent.  The pickerel (walleye) are definitely a bit drier but still turn out great! I agree with GNC11 - try it - you will be pleasantly surprised how good it is!

viper125

Been smoking Walleye and Perch for quite a few years. I prefer smaller fish to eat and freeze. But large Perch and walleye are excellent smoked. Some times a sweet brine sometimes a hot brine and some a hot and sweet brine. Wife likes it painted lightly with honey the last 1.5-2 hours. All ways looking for new brine's though and Ideas. Those look excellent. I started because I didn't like the completely dry hard fish. I figured Id smoke to a more eatable texture then my friends were doing. Finally figured they were just over cooking it.
That batch looks Delicious. I usually just do a small batch to enjoy also and freeze a couple. But I just use frozen walleye, seems it keeps longer and more tasty then smoking them all at once.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.