Hello from Loveland Colorado...........

Started by SmokeShow, July 12, 2009, 08:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeShow

Hey all, new to the forums here. I just built a new smoker utilizing the Bradley "tent" smoker components and a few other things I had laying around (like an 11 gauge stainless tank). I am looking forward to learning the art of SMOKIN.
We are a society of our own demise...........look into the mirror and ask yourself if you are adding to the INSANITY!!!!!!!!

pensrock

Welcome to the forum.

There are many helpful folks here, feel free to ask questions. Be sure to check out the recipe site.
pens

Mr Walleye

Hi SmokeShow and welcome to the forum.

Like Pens said, check out the recipe site site for lots of good eats. Just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post.

You will have to post some pictures of your smoker you built.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SmokeShow

Ok, I got some pics posted in the propane section.

Need to figure out how to post images but for now have them posted on snapfish!
We are a society of our own demise...........look into the mirror and ask yourself if you are adding to the INSANITY!!!!!!!!

pensrock

I beleive there is a FAQ section in the recipe site that can explain better that I on how to post pics.

deb415611

Quote from: pensrock on July 12, 2009, 10:45:11 AM
I beleive there is a FAQ section in the recipe site that can explain better that I on how to post pics.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Welcome Smokeshow

SmokeShow

Here we go............thanks for your help!

lumpy

Welcome SmokeShow,
My summer residence is in Silverthorne, CO.

Nice looking set-up. Almost need sunglasses...........not for long I presume ;)

Beautiful job on the stainless

Lumpy

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi SmokeShow. Great looking smoker and fantastic work on the fabrication. Got one question on it, do you have a drip tray in it? If not, you might want to make one up to prevent flareups, distribute the heat and smoke and make for easier clean up. Look forward to hearing how your first smoke turns out with pics of course.
HawkeyeSmokes

Caribou

Welcome to the forum SmokeShow!
What a beautiful smoker, it's like a Delorean car!
Wow!
Carolyn

SmokeShow

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I have been sitting on that tank for years wondering what I was going to do with it and was about ready to sell it for scrap until I got that brain storm.

Up In Smoke, the propane unit has both the heat as well as the biscuit heater all in one unit. That is why it made such an easy installation. As far a getting one, that is another story. I built that tank because I didn't want to purchase a ready made one that costs about $800.00. Originally it was designed for honing cylinders for small engines after boring. If I had to make another one it would be quite expensive as there is a BUNCH of shearing, press braking and tig welding. Then to finish it of I dressed it with a special tool that leaves a brushed finish.

Hawkeye, the way the tank is set up, it has a sloping bottom so that all of the drippings fall to the angled bottom and then run underneath a false floor. I installed a 1" ball valve in the bottom so that all of the drippings can drain into a bucket. I did bend a cover to go over the burner unit in case I would need to install it to prevent flare ups but I didn't have any issues as of yet.

The first smoke went very well except I had to play with the regulator quite a bit, I think the 2ft. hose I put on the 20# tank is too short and I was constantly fiddling with it. The flame was erratic and it went out a couple of times so I have a few bugs to work on but otherwise was a great day of smoking.

Everyone said the ribs were delicious, but IMO they were slightly overcooked. This is how they looked after just 4 hours.