Your favortie pork rib rub?

Started by whitetailfan, February 10, 2005, 04:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

I'm doing up some ribs this weekend.  Side ribs not babybacks, trimmed not full.

Anyway I have only done ribs once.  It was this past summer, and I used Wild Willys #1derful from S&S.  Anyway it was OK, but when I ate too much, I really didn't feel too good after.  I now have a distaste for that rub, I think it has way too much paprika.

<font color="blue">Now to the point - what is everyone's favorite dry rub for ribs?  I'm looking to whip up a batch for the family who are all in town for the annual (classic car) swap meet and gun/hobby show.</font id="blue">

Just for nostalgia sake, it was a year ago at the gun show that a local sporting goods guy had a "one only show special" original Bradley Smoker for cheap.  It was funny because I had researched the h[}:)]ll out of smokers for the past couple of months, and I had been working on the doe whitetail for awhile to buy one.  Well I jumped on that smoker like a Barry Bonds flyball in the bleachers.[:D]LOL  And the rest as they say "is history"...

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

CLAREGO

has anyone purchased boneless ribs and tried them with the same success??????

MallardWacker

White,

My favorite rub is somewhat simple type, I tried the complex flavor types and I and the Hen Mallard keep coming back to this one.  You pobably don't have it up there, it's called Korky's[:p].  I said all of that to say this, what ever you try, it would be MY sugestion that it would be heavly Paprika based type, not alot of sugar.   First I thought I wouldn't like it but after it hit the meat and smoke, it turned out great.  It is somewhat of a compliment more than addition, if you catch my drift.   Just my thoughts.  The day is beauuuutyful, the sky is blue and the temps are great.  The boss just left for a meeting and it is sounding like a half day off.   Yowzaaaa~I'm feel'n good.[8D][8D][8D]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CLAREGO</i>
<br />has anyone purchased boneless ribs and tried them with the same success??????
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">  

I don't believe boneless ribs are really ribs.  Most are cut from Boston Butt these days but definitely taste[:p].  I like to take them and submerge them in teriyaki sauce, tons of crushed garlic cloves and a couple tablespoons of adobo seasoning for 2-3 days.  Prefer to use vaccum seal canister if possible for maximum marinade penetration.  I have at times sealed the "ribs", resealed and resealed and resealed in order to pull the marinade in.  Smoke with apple wood and enjoy.  

WTF,
My favorite rub for ribs is----&gt; don't have one.  I do em different almost every time.  I like my ribs a little spicy so my latest favorite is Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.  I also hear(never tried)Texas BBQ rub is good.  I've heard lots of folks also like for wet ribs Dream Land BBQ sauce.  Have fun and mix it up.  I usually do enough of them and use different rubs on all of them[:D].

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

Normally I wouldn't suggest this for ribs per se, and would go w/ something more paprika based.  But since you specifically asked for something different, try this:
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1013&SearchTerms=rub
I used it on a brisket last weekend and the flavor was great.  Definitely a bit different than anything else I've tried. (BTW, put in the work to find worcestershire powder)

Chez Bubba

My favorite commercial rub to date is Rudy's. www.rudys.com I say "to date" because I plan on ordering some of Jeff's stuff & give it a go. Anybody with the knowledge he has, can't be using crappy rub.

A note to all on paprika. Be careful how you judge its' perfomance. There are many different kinds with many different heat levels. Freshness is also a key factor with this particular seasoning. Don't write it off because of one bad experience. Fresh paprika at your preferred heat level will make absolutely fantastic Q.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /> Fresh paprika at your preferred heat level will make absolutely fantastic Q.

Could of not said it better.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />My favorite commercial rub to date is Rudy's. www.rudys.com I say "to date" because I plan on ordering some of Jeff's stuff & give it a go. Anybody with the knowledge he has, can't be using crappy rub.

A note to all on paprika. Be careful how you judge its' perfomance. There are many different kinds with many different heat levels. Freshness is also a key factor with this particular seasoning. Don't write it off because of one bad experience. Fresh paprika at your preferred heat level will make absolutely fantastic Q.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Couldn't agree more on the paprike . . .

Definitely give the Dizzy Pig rubs a try!  I've tried the Red Eye (on tri-tips done on the grill), Cow lick Steak Rub (on steaks for the grill), Swamp Venom (BB), Jamaican (chicken, BB), Ragin River (double-smoked ham), and Tsunami (baked potatoes, fish).  All of them are first-quality and delicious!

Jeff (BigSmoker) carries them and is an excellent source of info on their best uses.

John
Newton MA[:)]
John
Newton MA

Bassman

I have yet to find a rub that I can call "my favorite". Had alot of good ones but everytime I smoke I try something different[:D].I have been experimenting on homemade rubs using the guide-lines from Paul Kirks book. Some have been good and some weren't. For ribs, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.But I do like a paprika base in a rub[:p].

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

DEMAN

Here is my fav BBQ rub. I use it for pulled pork, chicken and ribs (and damned near anything else you can think of.)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (demarrara is my fav)
1/2 cup paprika (mix sweet and hot if you like)
3 tblsp black pepper
3 tblsp coarse salt
1 tblsp hickory smoked salt
2 tsps garlic powder
2 tsps oinion powder
2 tsps celery seeds
1 tsps cayenne pepper.

Put in mixing bowl and stir using fingers (rubber glove will keep hands from going red)to break up the brown sugar lumps. Store in airtight jar away from heat and light and will keep for up to 6 months. I double this recipe and if I am doing lots of smoking or BBQ'ing I have to make another batch every few weeks.

I upgraded my computer a couple months ago and had to format HD. Good to be back on to this forum again.
I just put a batch of ribs in my BS and am looking forward to dinner tonight.

<b><font color="red">DEMAN</font id="red"></b><hr noshade size="1">
~Set the tongs on the floor....and back away slowly...no one has to get hurt~