Ordered Stainless digital Bradley a couple days ago. Should I cancel and get

Started by 1wired1, July 23, 2009, 06:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wired1

black non-digital and PID? I was reading through yesterday and it seems like PID is the way to go, but I'm a complete noob, never smoked before. I don't think my order has been shipped yet. Price is pretty comparable either way I go.

Thanks
1w1.

kaz

I was all set to buy the DBS, as well, as a good friend convinced me that it was the best choice ..... but I switched gears and bought the OBS / PID / MAVERICK for the same $$$'s and am really thrilled. Now my buddy with the DBS is considering the idea of giving his frandson his and buying the same setup I have. The PID is a BUNCH more consistent than even the DBS.
The guys / gals on this forum educated me correctly. I'd never heard of a PID or a Maverick, but glad they helped.
And ..... if you hurry and buy from Cabelas that deal almost pays for the PID and the Maverick.
KAZ

1wired1

Thanks Kaz,
Been trying to read up so I can make an informed decision. Looks like the PID is probably better, but only really necessary for making sausage? I really hate to cancel an order if I don't really need to. I know what it's like with the restocking, refunding, pain in the butt for the seller.

mikecorn.1

Just putting in my 2 cents. I have a BDS and a maverick et-73. It is all i seem to need for now. Mainly all i do is ribs, pork butts, chicken and briskit. I mainly use the bradley to apply smoke to the meat. Usually finish it off in the home oven or gass grill. I do tend to do the ribs in the smoker. Have not had a need to order a pid.
Mike

kaz

What I've seen between mine and my friend's DBS is consistent temperature control.
Bradley makes a great smoker but really not great controls ... even the digital.
Yes, some smokes require less consistency, but salmon, for example, does involve better control to avoid drying it out. I've also noticed the impact of outside temperature and wind.
Mine heats up to operating temperature much faster. It's all a matter of trade-offs.
Stainless vs standard
6 vs 4 racks
Digital vs Analog
If your happy then stay with what you've ordered,
KAZ

1wired1

Thanks for the help guys. I had planned on canceling and buying the OBS and PID, but I got an email with shipping confirmation last night. That Cabella's deal is great thats where I was going to order from.

1w1

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 24, 2009, 08:21:50 AM
You can always add a PID to a digital unit later.

Thats what I did
I have the BDS and had no problems with out the PID
I added it only after one batch of summer sausage over cooked on the out side

lumpy

I did the same.
Started with the BDS for 2 years and started salmon and sausages. Moved up to the PID, Mav and thermopen.

Lumpy