Need help modifying ABT recipe

Started by BigFella, July 23, 2009, 07:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigFella

Ok, so we're headed back to Indiana for my sister's wedding next weekend but we're leaving this weekend so we can spend some time with family, etc..  This Sunday we're having a surprise party for my wife as her birthday falls two days before the wedding and we won't be able to celebrate that day... :(

So here's where I need some help:  I am going to make some ABT's for the party, but I don't have a smoker and the grill is going to be filled with hot dogs and hamburgers.  I've made ABT's in the oven before when I was rained out here w/ the smoker, but a ran into a couple of problems.

1.  How can I ensure that the bacon gets crispy?  The couple of times I have done them here at home, I think the temp was too low, or I didn't cook them long enough...  I want the bacon to have at least a LITTLE crispiness to it and be cooked through.  I like 3/4 done bacon, but many do not... ???

2.  I want to incorporate the smoke flavor.  I've used Hickory smoked bacon, but that's really not enough.  I have also sprinkled some liquid smoke on top before cooking and THAT'S not really enough.  So do you think that I could mix some liquid smoke in with the cream cheese?  If yes, how much per block of cream cheese? ???

I'll be chopping up the 'lil smokes with some rub in the food processor before stuffing.  Should I add the smoke to these? ???

Any other suggestions are VERY welcome.

begolf25

BF,

Not sure if this would work but what if you smoke the bacon and little smokies ahead of time to add the smoke flavor? Not sure if you normally use whole peppers or cut them in half. You could cut the peppers in half, spoon in the cream cheese mixture, then top with crumbled bacon pieces then heat in the oven.

Like I said, never tried it before but it may work for your situation.

Bryan

BigFella

Not a bad idea.  One thing that I really like about the ABT's is the ENTIRE thing being wrapped in bacon.  Maybe I could put some bacon inside the bacon?! :)

I usually do 1/2 peppers, so I could use the 'lil smokies and mix them with crispy smoked bacon??

pensrock

I like Bryans ides of smoking some of the items first. Why not smoke a pound or so of cheddar ahead of time also then shread it and mix it into the cream cheese? I've made 3 cheese ABT's before by mixing cream, cheddar and parm together and stuff into the peppers and wrap with bacon. I have also mixed cooked bacon pieces with cheese and stuffed peppers and it came out great. I would try to avoid the liquid smoke on these if at all possible. Its ok on raw then grilled burgers and the such but I never cared for it too much just sprinkled onto things. IMHO
pens