another homemade bisquette thread

Started by buttburner, July 27, 2009, 10:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttburner

Guess I just cant leave this topic alone lol

After reading how people made them from prior threads, I came up with my own way, I think its pretty easy...

Make a soup of 1 cup of water and 2-3 heaping tbls of flour, mix with some shavings (not too much at first, you can always add more chips as you go.

the key difference in my method is what you use to form them.

Radiator hose clamps.

I take a clamp, tighten it down on a real bisquette, but just snug so you can get it off without messing up the puck.

take some cooking spray on your finger and coat the inside of the clamp with it, and spray a cookie sheet with it

then go ahead and pack them full if chips, pressing as hard as you can, I used the lid of the cooking spray can to do this

put them in the oven about 225f for 3 hrs or so

let them cool, unscrew the clamp and thats it.

In use, I find that about 3/4 of the puck burns, I get about 80% of the smoke volume I get with the real thing. I think thats becasue the chips I use a not the same size and its not packed as tightly

I alternate one real puck, then one of mine when smoking, works great

I was worried it would burn too fast and turn to ash, but thats not the case

NePaSmoKer

lumpy

I'm not being a smart ass but how much time and money did this cost.
.18 cents a puck...........for me its not worth it.

Lumpy

buttburner

no its smells just the same as the real thing. Thats why I tried alternating the pucks, to see if I could tell the difference between them. i could not tell which was burning until I opened the door and looked at it.

I am making pork chops right now with it.  These pucks are burning almost all the way down unlike my first try. I used my hamburger press to squish them down.

One thing I need to make them a little larger in diameter as i noticed some are not getting pushed into the pan, thats easy enough to correct on the next batch

the test will be when dinny rolls around, but I cant see that its going to be an issue

Roadking

I got to give that a try. I have bags of Hickory saw dust.

buttburner

Quote from: lumpy on July 27, 2009, 11:05:51 AM
I'm not being a smart ass but how much time and money did this cost.
.18 cents a puck...........for me its not worth it.

Lumpy

the clamps I had, they can be reused. The hickory i had. I have a tree in my yard.

I did not add in the price of the water or the flour, or the price of the gas and 2 cycle oil for the chainsaw, or the money it cost to run a stove for 2 hrs though, oh yea and the cost of the cooking spray...and maybe the property tax on the land that the tree is growing on ;)

abnd my labor is cheap since I am laid off...

if i do 48 of them at once its not going to be that much lol

mikecorn.1

You got any pics  of them. Or them in action in the smoker.
Mike

Roadking

Lumpy, hobbies are expensive. there all geared to keep your head on straight not your pocket book.

buttburner

buttburner

Quote from: Roadking on July 27, 2009, 11:24:15 AM
That just blew that little idea out of the water. Might as well just throw the saw dust on the floor to catch the mud I track into the house. I might as well get rid of my smokers and grills and just buy the ribs from the store and eat them raw.
Now what the heck am I going to do with all this free time while I'm retired. At least I just saved 18 cents!

whats this 18 cents bit?

how many do you have to buy and what is your final cost (total price including shipping if you pay that) for them?

Roadking

Quote from: buttburner on July 27, 2009, 11:25:55 AM
Quote from: Roadking on July 27, 2009, 11:24:15 AM
That just blew that little idea out of the water. Might as well just throw the saw dust on the floor to catch the mud I track into the house. I might as well get rid of my smokers and grills and just buy the ribs from the store and eat them raw.
Now what the heck am I going to do with all this free time while I'm retired. At least I just saved 18 cents!

whats this 18 cents bit?

how many do you have to buy and what is your final cost for them?

Lumpy brought it up. I'd love to find biskettes for .18

Roadking

Buttburner, did you ever try cornstarch? I think it would burn a little cleaner, Think I'll give that a try.

lumpy

Sorry..........I meant to say 28 cents
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000FJXEIQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance#productPromotions

I know what you mean about having all the time in the world.........I'm retired myself. So in a way I do understand.
Did'nt mean to *iss anyone off.

Lumpy

buttburner

Quote from: lumpy on July 27, 2009, 11:39:18 AM
Sorry..........I meant to say 28 cents
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000FJXEIQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance#productPromotions

I know what you mean about having all the time in the world.........I'm retired myself. So in a way I do understand.
Did'nt mean to *iss anyone off.

Lumpy

ok fair enough. The way I look at it, I can make 48 of them in about 30 minutes but I have not timed it... (minus oven time)

so take that $17.99 and times it by 2 and I will be at over $35/hr

tha buys a lot of pork butt when you aint got a job!!

I aint sayin everyone should do this, juxst spreading the info is all

buttburner

Quote from: Roadking on July 27, 2009, 11:37:16 AM
Buttburner, did you ever try cornstarch? I think it would burn a little cleaner, Think I'll give that a try.

no, but I did think about it...

will probably try next batch to compare