another homemade bisquette thread

Started by buttburner, July 27, 2009, 10:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Quote from: lumpy on July 27, 2009, 11:39:18 AM
Sorry..........I meant to say 28 cents
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000FJXEIQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance#productPromotions

I know what you mean about having all the time in the world.........I'm retired myself. So in a way I do understand.
Did'nt mean to *iss anyone off.

Lumpy

You know Lumpy it's so hard to say something to someone on a forum. Especially when the person can't see you and read your facial expressions. You kid with someone and they get offended.

lumpy

I hear ya Road King
When I try to say something funny, I'm laughing to myself while I type. When the other person reads, he might be saying "what an ***hole" to himself.
So it is hard to express yourself in words at times. I tend to use alot of smilies so the reader understands.
;)
Lump

buttburner

Quote from: lumpy on July 27, 2009, 12:05:26 PM
I hear ya Road King
When I try to say something funny, I'm laughing to myself while I type. When the other person reads, he might be saying "what an ***hole" to himself.
So it is hard to express yourself in words at times. I tend to use alot of smilies so the reader understands.
;)
Lump

Im sorry I did not know you were kidding. I know what you mean by forums, I am a moderator on a very large fishing site so I should know better

mikecorn.1

Kind of like this.   So where are the pics you promised?  ;D  ;D  ;D
Mike

buttburner

Stl workin on it trying to figure out what the kid did with the dang card reader

mikecorn.1

>:(  boy that make me mad when my kids start playing with my camera. Even worse is when i misplace my digital camera card adaptor and i can download pics to laptop.  ;D   I'll check back. thanks.
Mike

Roadking

Quote from: Roadking on July 27, 2009, 11:37:16 AM
Buttburner, did you ever try cornstarch? I think it would burn a little cleaner, Think I'll give that a try.

Repost, oh yeah wrong word. Think they say BUMP   ;D

buttburner

I will post some pics tomorrow. The family loved the chops!

I tried using cornstatch in a few just now, it did not stick together as well. Either I did not use enough, or it just doesnt work as well.

Also, its important to use sawdust, not those small chips they sell. You cant compact those tight enough to get them to hold together well.

One other issue I found is that the puck must shrink a little, if I put 3 of them in a row, the last one does not push the burnt one all the way off into the water pan. I am going to try increasing the diameter some, but if I alternate between a homemade one and real one it seem to work fine that way.  But these did burn all the way, these are the ones I compressed harder than my first batch.

So even if thats how I end up doing it, it will still cut my consumption of store bought ones in half.

Roadking

Quote from: buttburner on July 27, 2009, 05:05:10 PM
I will post some pics tomorrow. The family loved the chops!

I tried using cornstatch in a few just now, it did not stick together as well. Either I did not use enough, or it just doesnt work as well.

Also, its important to use sawdust, not those small chips they sell. You cant compact those tight enough to get them to hold together well.

One other issue I found is that the puck must shrink a little, if I put 3 of them in a row, the last one does not push the burnt one all the way off into the water pan. I am going to try increasing the diameter some, but if I alternate between a homemade one and real one it seem to work fine that way.  But these did burn all the way, these are the ones I compressed harder than my first batch.

So even if thats how I end up doing it, it will still cut my consumption of store bought ones in half.

If you use the cornstarch, you must mix it on a stove with heat so it turns to a glue consistency. Then add the saw dust. I'm going to give it a go in a few days.

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey guys, if you have a sawmill in your area, they can be a very good source for sawdust. My brother get's his for a gas burning smoker that way. It would be cleaner to because of no oil off the bar. Just a suggestion. ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Smokin Soon

I thought about making my own pucks some time ago, popped another beer and the thought passed. Can't even keep up on stuff I wanna try, so not much time for puck building! Hat's off to ya if you can meke it worth your time and effort!

Gizmo

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 27, 2009, 05:43:38 PM
Hey guys, if you have a sawmill in your area, they can be a very good source for sawdust. My brother get's his for a gas burning smoker that way. It would be cleaner to because of no oil off the bar. Just a suggestion. ;D

Just don't get the sawdust from the pine they just cut.   :-X
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

buttburner

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 27, 2009, 05:43:38 PM

No sawmills by me. I have thought about the oil off the bar, so I use my tablesaw now to get the dust.

as far as heating up the cornstarch, I would think heating the pucks in the oven would serve the same purpose, I dunno. All I know for sure is that the flour works, so I am gonig to stick with that for now. The flour/water mix is very easy to work with it, its not thick so it doesnt get messy

Im a real tinkerer...I used to make my own fishing weights, that turned into an online buisness that keeps me very busy now

squirtthecat

Quote from: buttburner on July 28, 2009, 03:09:25 AM
Im a real tinkerer...I used to make my own fishing weights, that turned into an online buisness that keeps me very busy now

Sounds like if you get your mixture dialed in right, this could turn into another online business to keep you even busier...

Butt's Bisquettes

buttburner

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 28, 2009, 04:55:03 AM
Quote from: buttburner on July 28, 2009, 03:09:25 AM

Sounds like if you get your mixture dialed in right, this could turn into another online business to keep you even busier...

Butt's Bisquettes

oh no, thats all I need lol

actually making these reminds me of baking cookies. But a lot less work.