think of a burning puck

thats about it lol

will get pics up soon

buttburner

The one of it burning did not turn out so this is all I have for now

the lighter one is the real thing

smokeitall

Quote from: buttburner on July 27, 2009, 05:05:10 PM
I will post some pics tomorrow. The family loved the chops!

I tried using cornstatch in a few just now, it did not stick together as well. Either I did not use enough, or it just doesnt work as well.

Also, its important to use sawdust, not those small chips they sell. You cant compact those tight enough to get them to hold together well.

One other issue I found is that the puck must shrink a little, if I put 3 of them in a row, the last one does not push the burnt one all the way off into the water pan. I am going to try increasing the diameter some, but if I alternate between a homemade one and real one it seem to work fine that way.  But these did burn all the way, these are the ones I compressed harder than my first batch.

So even if thats how I end up doing it, it will still cut my consumption of store bought ones in half.

Sounds like you need a small pneumatically operated press.  If you have a compressor and a way to make a small C-frame you can get a lot of force out of a pneumatic cylinder.  In fact I know a guy that could help you out if you want one  ;D

mikecorn.1

Alright, finally the pics arrive.  ;D
Mike

buttburner

Quote from: smokeitall on July 28, 2009, 04:36:18 PM
Quote from: buttburner on July 27, 2009, 05:05:10 PM
I will post some pics tomorrow. The family loved the chops!

I tried using cornstatch in a few just now, it did not stick together as well. Either I did not use enough, or it just doesnt work as well.

Also, its important to use sawdust, not those small chips they sell. You cant compact those tight enough to get them to hold together well.

One other issue I found is that the puck must shrink a little, if I put 3 of them in a row, the last one does not push the burnt one all the way off into the water pan. I am going to try increasing the diameter some, but if I alternate between a homemade one and real one it seem to work fine that way.  But these did burn all the way, these are the ones I compressed harder than my first batch.

So even if thats how I end up doing it, it will still cut my consumption of store bought ones in half.

Sounds like you need a small pneumatically operated press.  If you have a compressor and a way to make a small C-frame you can get a lot of force out of a pneumatic cylinder.  In fact I know a guy that could help you out if you want one  ;D

No, no press is needed. the key is to have the right size wood chips. they burn fine now. I just made a batch out of cherry

Mr Walleye

Nice job Buttburner, They look great!  ;)

Very creative too!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

buttburner

thanks MIke

Are you on Walleye Central by chance?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: buttburner on July 29, 2009, 08:08:16 AM
thanks MIke

Are you on Walleye Central by chance?

I am from time to time but I haven't been on for a while. Just to darn busy... You know how work gets in the way of all the important things!  :D

Mike

buttburner

I thought so

I am a moderator there

going incognito here though

;)

Mr Walleye

I go by "Mike M (Sask)" when I am kicking around there.

Mike

buttburner

I thought so...that pic looks real familiar!!!

I also have the formula for the pucks down now. I am down to 1 tsp flour to a cup of water instead of what I was using.

And I have the sawdust right also

smokeitall

So how much sawdust to 1 tsp flour and a cup of water?  Just curious..  i don't have the time or need for another project so I will not be making these but if I can't find a flavor I want or Bradley doesn't make I may give it a try. Thanks

buttburner

what I do is use a blend of sawdust and chips, both made with my tablesaw and dado blade.

I put the water and flour in a bowl then mix some wood in, but not all of the wood. Do a little bit at a time. Dip it out. squeeze it out a bit and put it in the hose clamp. Just make sure the wood is soaked, thats the idea.

Pack more in, as much as it takes to fill the hose clamp.

then repeat until you run out of water or chips or clamps lol

I figured at the rate I did it, that there is about 1/16th or less of a teaspoon of flour in each puck by the time all is said and done

its goes real quick once you do it a few times

johnS

In the UK, bisquettes work out at about £40 for a 120 box which doesn't last long so I started making my own. I didn't fancy using flour as a binder as starch smoke is normally bitter and I recall that Bradleys used to say they used collagen. I dissolve normal kitchen gelatine(processed collagen) in hot water, mix with it oak shavings and dust, compress it with a 2 1/4 dia.  mould and then set them in batches  in the fridge before drying them in the oven. I use non-stick steel baking sheets and an old brick to keep them compressed in the fridge and oven. I can make about 60/hr but am getting faster with practice. Only downside is that I struggle to get enough compression/density so I end up needing to make them about 19-20mm thick to get enough material into them so they smoulder for the full 20minutes.