Suncast 'smoke shed'

Started by squirtthecat, July 27, 2009, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I'm thinking about getting one of these to keep my OBS in. (and put it up higher on some kind of stand/cabinet/table)   Does anyone have this particular model?   

Any tips/gotchas?   Looking at the interior shelf (you can make your own to fit) dimensions, we are looking at 29 1/2" wide, and 16 5/16" deep.   Is that enough clearance?  I don't want the door to catch on anything, or worse - melt a hole in the back of it.

Link to product description:  http://is.gd/1PuQO

(this is from the current Menards flier)

TIA!

Mr Walleye

STC

I think Tiny Tim uses that exact storage unit for his. I have also seen homebuilt units and they usually install a roof vent on the top of them to allow the smoke out. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

Yep, Walleye's right, I use the vertical.  I haven't put a shelf in it...just put my smoker on an old end table type thing, and it takes it just a touch too high to put the shelf in.  Works great, although this winter, it did blow over, fortunately while the smoker was not in it.

btw, not sure I approve of your user name, unless you have a cat named squirt..............j/k

squirtthecat

Quote from: Tiny Tim on July 27, 2009, 05:19:15 PM
Yep, Walleye's right, I use the vertical.  I haven't put a shelf in it...just put my smoker on an old end table type thing, and it takes it just a touch too high to put the shelf in.  Works great, although this winter, it did blow over, fortunately while the smoker was not in it.

btw, not sure I approve of your user name, unless you have a cat named squirt..............j/k

Thanks TT.   I'm going to take the Suncast manual advice and screw it to my fence for additional support.   That's where I am building my new 'grill patio' out in the yard.   More on that later as that project advances.

And yes, I do have a cat named Squirt.  Hard to tell from my tiny user pic, but he is my ~18 pound diabetic little buddy.  Walgreens (where I get his D supplies from) couldn't fit "Squirt The Cat [last name here]" on his prescription records, so they shortened it to SquirtTheCa.  I tweaked that for my various user names.

Thx!

Tiny Tim

wow 18 pounds?  Does the floor bounce when he walks? lol  My little Sneetch might be close, but her sister Bela, I would say is around 8 or so.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Tiny Tim on July 27, 2009, 05:59:43 PM
wow 18 pounds?  Does the floor bounce when he walks? lol  My little Sneetch might be close, but her sister Bela, I would say is around 8 or so.

Ah, no.  But we know it when he jumps down off of the bathroom sink and hits the floor.

He's on the right, with his 'cousin' (cat sitting for the MIL, while she and the Mrs are traveling) stalking the Bradley - like furry Raptors:

He is a big boy.

squirtthecat

I think I have most of the pieces needed for my 'smoke shed'..

Got one of these in a box in the garage:

One of these to act as a heavy duty shelf/cabinet. (after some surgery, lopping 7" off of the face)  I'll probably add some shelves to store racks/accessories/etc - and maybe an improvised 'door' on the front.

And I'm thinking of a slightly modified one of these to act as a base for the cabinet (in case we get standing water in the yard)

Sound like a plan?

westexasmoker

I think that looks like an excellent plan!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

"I love it when a plan comes together!"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Sounds like a good plan to me as well.  BTW nice deck!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

squirtthecat

By golly, I think this will work.. 

I just set up the 'shed' for a quick dry fit of everything. (lots of leveling + landscaping to be done before "Final Product" is ready)

Assembled, dry fit of OBS, make sure everything clears...

Lots of room in the back for air flow. (might bolt in a piece of stainless steel for some added insulation)

Plenty of clearance to get the door open to get racks in/out.

Tacked to the fence for now - might have some storms tomorrow night.

Say Goodnight Gracie...

"Grill Patio" area.  Part of my master plan.  More on that later as it progresses....    Think poured curbing where the strings are, sod stripped out and filled w/ River Rock - then big pavers scattered around to put 'outdoor cooking stuff' on.  (Weber Spirit Gasser, Cabela's Camping Kitchen, couple of tables, chairs, EZ-Up tent when necessary..)

[cue 'A-Team' theme song]

squirtthecat

Quote from: Wildcat on August 06, 2009, 04:35:15 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me as well.  BTW nice deck!

Thanks!  It's getting old and saggy (cue the chuckles..), but it had a nice power washing and fresh coat of stain late this Spring.

Mr Walleye

STC

Lookin' good!  ;)

If you are going to put a heat shield behind the OBS I would do it the same way they do for wood stove shielding. Wood stove shielding is simply a metal plate spaced out from the wall 1 inch. You can simply use 1 inch pieces of 1/2" copper pipe for spacers and just drill the shield and use a screw with the spacer. The reason for the 1" space behind the shield is to allow a natural air flow which also provides cooling for the shield.

Just a thought

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

squirtthecat

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 06, 2009, 05:39:47 PM
STC

Lookin' good!  ;)

If you are going to put a heat shield behind the OBS I would do it the same way they do for wood stove shielding. Wood stove shielding is simply a metal plate spaced out from the wall 1 inch. You can simply use 1 inch pieces of 1/2" copper pipe for spacers and just drill the shield and use a screw with the spacer. The reason for the 1" space behind the shield is to allow a natural air flow which also provides cooling for the shield.

Just a thought

Mike

Great advice.  Thanks!  I was just going to screw it up flush against the plastic, but that make perfect sense.

OU812

Thats goin to be a sweet set up when you get it done, nice work