Show Yer Smokers

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 28, 2009, 11:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on September 28, 2009, 03:23:15 PM
Nice set up you have going there squirt.

You ever thought about a range hood mounted inside your smoke shed ? With the exit going out the back rather out the top. Just throwing that out there.

Yeah, I was wondering if that would work..   Would be easier than cutting a roof cap vent in it. (lots of plastic bracing in the roof of that thing - that's what holds it all together.   :D

Any trouble having a range hood fan running for 18-20 hours on end?? (thinking pork butts)

The additional light would be nice as well.

OU812

As far as leaving the range hood running I know of one weekend when we were gone and my son came over to refill his freezer (when we were gone of course) he cooked some bacon and left the range hood on it was three days be fore we got back.Well at least he did clean up after him self and remember to shut off the stove.

With a flat roof like your smoke shed I would think it will be hard to keep the weather out.

It will be nice when your done. A place for everything and everything in its place.

squirtthecat

Thanks OU...    I'll go that route. (was not looking forward to cutting through that roof)

Now I just need to shop around for a cheap range hood, and figure out some way to attach the sucker..   Should I put it directly over the Bradley, or up higher, and run a bit of plastic pipe to guide the smoke up?

I don't want to 'suck' any heat out of the OBS...  Winter is coming.  And some days in Central IL, with a vengeance.

OU812

I would do it like MW and raise it with a piece of pipe to keep the hood form sucking the heat out and I was thinking of a dryer vent flapper thing on the out side to keep the critters out.

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on September 28, 2009, 04:46:42 PM
I would do it like MW and raise it with a piece of pipe to keep the hood form sucking the heat out and I was thinking of a dryer vent flapper thing on the out side to keep the critters out.

That sounds like a perfect plan!

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 28, 2009, 05:00:12 PM
Quote from: OU812 on September 28, 2009, 04:46:42 PM

That sounds like a perfect plan!

Good luck, things are coming together nicely.

smokeitall

Hey Squirt in the real cold windy IL winters you could also put a small Mr.Heater style heater in the bottom to keep the cabinet temp up.  I have a small one with a thermostat on it.  I set the dial and it just runs every now and then when it needs to kick on.  Would fit real nice in the bottom of your cabinet.
SIA

BigJohnT

Squirt,

You should give it a big hug during the winter... I'm just a little south of you here in swamp east Missouri and don't have a plan yet for winter smoking but with today's 60 degree temperature it is starting to make me think of what I will improvise, adapt, and overcome to make it through the winter.

John

squirtthecat

Thanks for the ideas, neighbors!    I'm try my first cold smoke today (salt, paprika, peppercorns, cheese, peanuts).   It's 41 now out back (I have a weather station mounted on my deck), so I shouldn't have too much trouble.

FYI, we're under a freeze warning for tonight/tomorrow morning.   >:(

smokeitall

It was cool here this morning but were up in the high 50's now with a low tonight of 37 expected.

Yum..smoked paprika, one of my favorites, well smoked cheese too, and well yeah smoked peanuts, and yeah well everything. ;D

squirtthecat

Let's bump this again.    We've got a lot of new faces (and toys) to show off..

Keymaster

Heres a pic of me and my Primo Oval XL from a year ago ;D

Indy Smoker

I built a custom 'Home"