How many LBs of Brisket for 8 people

Started by Bobbert, July 28, 2009, 03:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbert

All

I am doing a small smoke for 8 friends in a few days, how many pounds of Beef Brisket should I smoke!  I know most of you will say at 20 pounds so you have leftovers ;D  but in this case I am looking for the "rule of thumb!"

thanks all!!!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

westexasmoker

Quote from: Bobbert on July 28, 2009, 03:29:44 PM
All

I am doing a small smoke for 8 friends in a few days, how many pounds of Beef Brisket should I smoke!  I know most of you will say at 20 pounds so you have leftovers ;D  but in this case I am looking for the "rule of thumb!"

thanks all!!!

Your right I'd say about 20 lbs!...But it all depends on what else is being served with your brisket??? Beans, tater salad, ABT's, sausage?  And also the size of their appetites,  I usually figure 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per.  Its better to have to much, than to run out with folks still hungry!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Bobbert

Thanks WTS!!!  I was shooting for about 1lb per person (uncooked)  plus sides!! so I should be ok!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

Ka Honu

You're right on track.  My local stores usually carry flats weighing about 8 pounds.  That should give you 5-6 pounds cooked - usually enough for 8 if you have other stuff per WTS's suggestion (If you're gonna have brisket, you might as well have some decent sausage to go with it, not to mention slaw, beans, corn on the cob, or whatever).  If you're still worried, you can always make some ABTs, 'Shroom bombs, Moinkballs, and the like to take some of the edge off before the main course is served.

Caneyscud

Quote from: Bobbert on July 28, 2009, 03:46:57 PM
Thanks WTS!!!  I was shooting for about 1lb per person (uncooked)  plus sides!! so I should be ok!

1 lb raw is in the range for per person.  Packer Cut Brisket will lose approx. 50% cooked - leaving 1/2 pound.  That is enough for a 1/3 # plate serving (rule of thumb) with a few getting seconds.  Or it is 2 sammies for everybody (rule of thumb 1/4 # per sammy).  Flats will probably lose less and yield more, but serving sizes will be the same.  A 10 to 12 lb packer cut would be perfect with plenty for the next day, if it doesn't get eaten up the first day.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

My 12 lb Brisket feed 10 adults and 11 kids (most under 7yr) only had a sammich bag left over. Highly suggest the yellow sauce to go over the top.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Bobbert

10.5  what Yellow sauce do you recommend, sounds like something I would love to try to make!!!

thanks!!

BTW there was not one scrap of meat leftover all the dog got was the bits onthe board!!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

Tenpoint5

Here is the yellow sauce from over on the recipe site.
Yellow Sauce
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

I can get by with 1 pound per person only if there is another "meat" dish. I use wings as the add on cause there really cheap. Big pot of beans and slaw required for my group.