Roast Beef perfection!

Started by FLBentRider, July 28, 2009, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 28, 2009, 05:55:02 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 28, 2009, 05:35:05 PMNow you got me thinking I need a slicer. Just thinking about that sliced thin on good bread or a roll, heaven.  ;D

I've got a Chef's Choice 610 - it's their "low end" model (about $100) but worth about 6 of the cheaper plastic things you get for $50 and throw away after a week or so.  I don't know what I'd do with pastrami, roast beef, or other sandwich makings without it.

Thanks Ka Honu, I been looking at a Waring Pro but this looks just as good or better for half the price. Might just pull the trigger on it.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Smokin Soon

I've got the lowest in the slicer bunch. A 25 buck Rival from Wallymart. It get the job done if you know how to use it. It does my slab and Canadian bacon pretty well, but I did see a slicer at costco for 79.95 that  was allot more professional. I forgot the name.

easyridinole

Good job FLBR!! That looks really, really good!

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

deb415611

twl

I have a 4-5 lb sirloin roast I want to serve Saturday evening. I've been reading the various posts on the subject and here is my plan for you guys to critique.

Take roast from frig and let stand for 45 minutes to get near room temp.
Liberally Salt (Kosher) and Pepper (fresh ground black) on full exterior.
Smoke for 4 hours Oak, Hickory or Mesquette - I'm kinda at a loss here as to what is best with beef.
Cook about 2 hours/ pound @ 200 deg F. In this case 4lb X 2hrs = 8 hours
Regardless of actual time in DBS, it's done when internal temp reaches 135 deg F for med rare
FTC until ready to serve. Try to finish 2 hours before serving to allow meat to stabilize.

Are there other rubs that you like?
Is 2 hours/pound @ 200 deg F in the ball park?
I know wood is personal preference, but what is usually best on beef?
Any tricks you guys can share?

twl
twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

Ka Honu

Depending on how smoky you want your meat, 4 hours may or may not be a bit much.  My last rib roast was in the smoke for 2.5 hours and that was about the max for SWMBO's taste.  As to total time, two hours per pound is probably too long for planning purposes.  I'd say your total time will be closer to 45 minutes per pound (depending on the usual variables).

FLBentRider

I think 2hr/lb is way over.

I did a 13Lb roast @ 200F and it was done in 6 hours.

More like 1/2 hour per pound.

I would set the alarm on the ET-73 @  130F and then watch it from there.

There is not a lot of connective tissue, it comes up to temp faster.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I agree with FLB, ya wanna hit 135-145 IT with roast...some will take longer depending on the cut, (like a chuck or a large arm can be almost like a brisket)  but most won't take as long as what ya think!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

twl

Thanks guys.

I'll drop time to 45 min/lb, but watch IT with alarm @ 130 deg F. Does that meke better sense?

What about rubs?
twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

FLBentRider

All I used was Kosher Salt and Fresh cracker pepper.

Use anything you like.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: twl on July 30, 2009, 05:41:30 PMI'll drop time to 45 min/lb, but watch IT with alarm @ 130 deg F. Does that make better sense?

Of course it does; you'll be following Rule #1 (When it's done, it's done).

Quote from: twl on July 30, 2009, 05:41:30 PMWhat about rubs?

I agree with FLBR - salt & pepper work just fine for a nice piece of beast.

Habanero Smoker

I like to finish my roast in the oven to give them a crust. Here is how I smoke/roast a roast.

Smoked Top Loin

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

twl

Now that the smoker is up and going with my sirloin roast, let me ask this Q. I trimmed off all the fat, but my wife is worried that the roast will then be too dry when finished. One suggestion was to put the fat back on top of the roast after smoking phase. I put an AL tray under to catch the drippings. It could catch the fat drippings as well. What do you think?
twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

FLBentRider

I did the roast as it came out of the package.

The fat=flavor. I might trim it before I eat it.

Putting in back on the top might help. It depends on how you like your beef. Rare rules around here, and the low temps should help keep it moist.

If you lean toward well done, I'm not sure how to keep it moist.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

When I smoke Top Loin, I trim all the fat, but I use a paste with egg in it (wet rub). If you going for rare or medium rare, my choice is to cut it off first, rather they cut it off at the table and loose bark. If kept at those doness temperatures it will remain moist.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)