How to smoke a HAM

Started by scrapdog, July 29, 2009, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrapdog

New to this forum and just kinda found this site by accident---but this is way cool.  I have had a Bradley smoker for several months now and have been fairly successful--have smoked ribs, brisket, and pork roasts.  Now I am wanting to smoke a ham (bone-in).  any suggestions?????????
Humans didn't fight their way to the top of the food chain to vegetarians----scrapdog

Habanero Smoker

Hi scrapdog;

Welcome to the forum.

Are you smoking fresh ham, commercially cured ham, or home cured ham. There are slightly different cooking methods for each, but basically you want to bring the internal temperature to 152°F.

Here is a link for curing and smoking ham, if your ham is already cured just follow the smoking/cooking directions. Fresh ham, you may want to skip the cabinet drying period. Just air dry it on the counter for 2 hours to let it approach room temperature prior to placing it into the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

scrapdog

Hey Habanero Smoker,
     The ham would be a commercially cured one---and I dont want to appear stupid---but I did not see a link to receipes---could you re type it for me?   I am not the worlds best computer navigator!!!
Humans didn't fight their way to the top of the food chain to vegetarians----scrapdog

mikecorn.1

Mike

squirtthecat

I've done 2 this week...   The best was a cheap 8 lb bone-in water-added commercial ham. (99 cents a pound on sale)  I put a simple rub on it, applied 2 hours of cherry smoke. (I kept the box set around 200 degrees) I left it in there until the internal temp hit 140.   Took 4 hours total.

Pulled it out, wrapped in a few layers of foil, then a towel and stuffed in a cooler for 2 hours.

Turned out great.

The cafeteria cook here at the office is making ham and beans tomorrow - with my ham!

I did a smaller cured ham that wasn't "water added" and it dried out.   Lesson learned.

scrapdog

squirtthecat
That ham looks wonderful----Thanks for the help---but what does putting the ham in a towel and then into a cooler do??

Caneyscud

Squirt

That ham looks good enough to go into anybody's ham and beans.  Smoked ham is good eats!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum scrapdog. Lots of people here more than willing to help.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Quote from: scrapdog on July 29, 2009, 02:01:34 PM
squirtthecat
That ham looks wonderful----Thanks for the help---but what does putting the ham in a towel and then into a cooler do??

That's called the 'FTC' stage.  Foil then cooler.   Let's the meat rest while maintaining temperature (and even continuing to cook a bit).  The foil also locks the juices in.

Others will step in with a more detailed description of the procedure - but I think it is a must do!   

Juicy juicy juicy...

deb415611

Quote from: scrapdog on July 29, 2009, 01:32:56 PM
Hey Habanero Smoker,
     The ham would be a commercially cured one---and I dont want to appear stupid---but I did not see a link to receipes---could you re type it for me?   I am not the worlds best computer navigator!!!

Welcome Scrapdog.  Habs probably won't be back until early morning.  My guess is that this is the link he was referring to :  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=465

scrapdog

I just went to this site----http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=465
squirtthecat's method sure seems alot easier than the method found on the above web site.  I dont know if I could let a fabulous smoked ham sit in the frig for 4 days without eating it.  And thank you all for the nice welcoming

squirtthecat

Quote from: scrapdog on July 29, 2009, 04:46:36 PM
I just went to this site----http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=465
squirtthecat's method sure seems alot easier than the method found on the above web site.  I dont know if I could let a fabulous smoked ham sit in the frig for 4 days without eating it.  And thank you all for the nice welcoming

My method included buying one at the store that was already cured/cooked!  I just heated it up and added smoke and some rub-love...

This is the rub I used, I've seen it here on the forum before, and I took their advice for 'heating up' a store bought ham, so I can't take credit for anything. (other than some action photo shots w/ my phone).

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard

Personally, I found it a bit strong when I first tasted it after the FTC.  But it mellowed in the fridge.

Have fun!

scrapdog

Well I am buying a ham in the store---on sale for 98 cents a  pound.  Cant beat that!!
thanks squirtthecat.  Buy the way, your action photo shots are great.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on July 29, 2009, 03:45:10 PM
Welcome Scrapdog.  Habs probably won't be back until early morning.  My guess is that this is the link he was referring to :  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=465

Am I that predictable? :) I did forget to post the link.

Quote from: scrapdog on July 29, 2009, 04:46:36 PM
squirtthecat's method sure seems alot easier than the method found on the above web site.  I don't know if I could let a fabulous smoked ham sit in the frig for 4 days without eating it.  And thank you all for the nice welcoming

The Smoking Directions; which are the only directions you needed to smoke a commercial cured ham is four steps. Basically what squirtthecat did, except he did not air dry. Air drying improves smoke penetration. You don't have to let it set for four days, but as squirtthecat pointed out the smoke flavor improves.  Also I don't feel there is a need to FTC a ham, unless you need to hold the temperature until serving time.

The instructions above the smoking directions are for curing a fresh ham, and the information below the the smoking directions are included if one wishes to roast and glaze a ham as traditionally done for a holiday diner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 30, 2009, 01:30:11 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on July 29, 2009, 03:45:10 PM

Am I that predictable? :) I did forget to post the link.

I could have given her a time window ;)  Actually two and they would have been 12 hours apart  :D