How to smoke a HAM

Started by scrapdog, July 29, 2009, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Scrapdog, Now if your wanting to make your own ham from a fresh ham. Here are the links to a couple that I made.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8442.0 Home Cured Ham,
or
Christmas Ham
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

scrapdog

Thanks EVERYONE for all the assistance (methods, websites, helpful hints)
I have now built this ham up so much with anticipation, they it will probably be a flop!
Oh well, one can only try!!
Humans didn't fight their way to the top of the food chain to vegetarians----scrapdog

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on July 30, 2009, 03:20:15 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 30, 2009, 01:30:11 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on July 29, 2009, 03:45:10 PM
Welcome Scrapdog.  Habs probably won't be back until early morning.  My guess is that this is the link he was referring to :  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=465

Am I that predictable? :) I did forget to post the link.

I could have given her a time window ;)  Actually two and they would have been 12 hours apart  :D

I'm going to have to change my 12 hour schedule. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mypjo

WHEN BUTCHERING A HOG HOW DO YOU MAKE SURE NOT TO LOSE THE MAIN ARTERY SO AS TO BE ABLE TO INJECT CURING BRINE INTO HIND QUARTERS TO MAKE WHOLE HAMS.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mypjo;

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with that question. I don't butcher hogs, and have to depend on getting them from the market. So it is impossible to find the main artery.

The method I use is Stitch-Pump. That method calls for injecting 10% brine by weight around the bone in both the shank and rump ends. Then start injecting the brine in other areas as deep as you can; getting as close to the bone as you can. Make sure your injection sites uniformly cover the whole ham.

Also; although typing in all capital letters is easier, it is considered shouting in forum posts and emails.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)