"country style" ribs

Started by squirtthecat, July 31, 2009, 08:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Hi All.   Thanks for the tips so far, everything has been turning out great...

I've been tasked with smoking some country style ribs for a party on Sunday.  I'm going to do them tomorrow, and then just warm/sauce up on the grill at the party.

Reading through a slew of recipes/tips, it sounds like this would be a good plan.

- mild rub (I have some John Henry's Pecan rub from Houston)
- 2 hours of smoke at 200-210 (per "not so smoky!" request)
- continue at 200-210, pull at IT of 145-150 (however long that takes)
- FTC w/ apple juice

Will gently reheat in the foil packets the next day, then onto the grill w/ some Sweet Baby Ray's to make them pretty.

Any other tips/gotchas?

Thx!

mikecorn.1

Mmmmmm. Sounds like a plan and 1/2.  ;D
Mike

squirtthecat

Ok, now the plans have changed...   They purchased "St Louis" style ribs for me to smoke.  The 'country' ones had a Sell By date of today.

So...  St Louis ribs.   That's a baby back, isn't it?

Time to exercise the forum search box...

Habanero Smoker

Most country style ribs are cut for the butt, so at 145°F - 150°F they will be tough. You will need to go to around 185°F. If you don't have a good instant read thermometer, a better test for doness for this cut is to use the fork test. The fork test you want to use is to insert it into the meat, and if it goes in and pulls out without resistance it is done. I generally use both temperature and the fork test.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 31, 2009, 11:09:27 AM

Ok, now the plans have changed...   They purchased "St Louis" style ribs for me to smoke.  The 'country' ones had a Sell By date of today.

So...  St Louis ribs.   That's a baby back, isn't it?

Time to exercise the forum search box...

The St Louis cut is different than baby backs. They are spare ribs with with the brisket section removed. They are the best rib IMHO. Tend to be meatier and more flavorful than baby backs. Might require more cooking time though.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 31, 2009, 07:52:43 PM
The St Louis cut is different than baby backs. They are spare ribs with with the brisket section removed. They are the best rib IMHO. Tend to be meatier and more flavorful than baby backs. Might require more cooking time though.

Ok - THANKS for that clarification...
Any tips?

I'd hate to make a mess out of these.

HawkeyeSmokes

The first tip I would give is to follow the tutorial form 10.5. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=581
I've been using that to cook my ribs with great results. The only thing is with the St Louis cut ribs I've been smoking have taken more time. 6 hours total cooking time at a minimum, some have been more. Make sure they are pulling back from the ends of the bone before saucing if you sauce them. When they have pulled back about a 1/2 inch from the end of the bone, should be ready to serve. No need to check the IT on ribs. Make sure to preheat the smoker, keep your vent open and try not to peek while the ribs are smoking as it causes so much heat loss.

HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on August 01, 2009, 06:46:56 AM
The first tip I would give is to follow the tutorial form 10.5. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=581
I've been using that to cook my ribs with great results. The only thing is with the St Louis cut ribs I've been smoking have taken more time. 6 hours total cooking time at a minimum, some have been more. Make sure they are pulling back from the ends of the bone before saucing if you sauce them. When they have pulled back about a 1/2 inch from the end of the bone, should be ready to serve. No need to check the IT on ribs. Make sure to preheat the smoker, keep your vent open and try not to peek while the ribs are smoking as it causes so much heat loss.

Thanks Hawkeye.  I've got that tutorial bookmarked.    I just wasn't sure about the total cooking times, but your 6 hour min is a good guide.

I'm going to give them 2 hours of smoke, then 1 hour without, then 'boat' in a pan w/ apple juice and back in the Bradley for another 3.   I'll see what they look like then.  Probably FTC them and into the fridge when they cool off.    Will heat back up on the grill tomorrow and sauce.

Sound reasonable?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 01, 2009, 06:50:32 AM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on August 01, 2009, 06:46:56 AM

Thanks Hawkeye.  I've got that tutorial bookmarked.    I just wasn't sure about the total cooking times, but your 6 hour min is a good guide.

I'm going to give them 2 hours of smoke, then 1 hour without, then 'boat' in a pan w/ apple juice and back in the Bradley for another 3.   I'll see what they look like then.  Probably FTC them and into the fridge when they cool off.    Will heat back up on the grill tomorrow and sauce.

Sound reasonable?

Don't see why not, you might just check on them after 4 or 5 hours as all ribs are not the same on cooking time. And you might what to rotate them in the Bradley once or twice. I've been putting mine in the oven once boated as it's just easier. Once you boat them, the Bradley is just being used as an oven from there on.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Thanks again Hawkeye.  I"ll do that..

I was just going to use the Bradley as my '200 degree oven' as it is already hot. And dirty.
(and our kitchen oven doubles as as a storage cabinet for all of the pans and miscellaneous junk)