Long term storage of beef jerky

Started by MontanaGuy, July 31, 2009, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MontanaGuy

I just read one of the postings regarding jerky storage. I'm a little confused on what works and what doesn't.  Most of the time we eat it within a couple weeks.  Per something I read before, I put it in  ziplock bags and put most of it in the freezer until I'm ready to use it.  When I'm ready for more to eat, I pull a bag out of the freezer and toss it in the fridge so it thaws.  But like I said, we've been eating it pretty quick. 

What about longer storage?  Say for a month or two?  I read somewhere that if I put it in a ziplock and then wrap it in tin foil, it will last in the freezer for quite awhile.  Is this true?  I see in one of the recent postings that Nepas puts his jerky in an Amish bag or in a glass jar with holes in the lid.  Nepas, how long is this method good for?  It does sound like it would be easier on the jerky than the freezer.  But how long will it last?  I'm using HM jerky seasoning and cure.

I appreciate any feedback from all you jerky gurus out there. 

NePaSmoKer

If your going to freeze, double wrapping is good. Once thawed it should be eaten within a week. Moisture (condensation) and  locked in air promote growth of bacteria. Circulated air is not as bad. All this depends on if you used cure and sprayed PS on the final air dried jerky.

PS is Potassium Sorbate. It inhibits growth of mold and bacteria. Tasteless

If you  use a jar the jerky will stay good in the fridge for about 2 to 3 to weeks. If you use a paper bag it will be a week and start to dry some. I let mine sit on the counter in the jar and have had jerky at room temps for 2 weeks with no signs of mold. However you would not want to do this for a long period with pork or fowl jerky.

If you zip lock bag and wrap in foil your jerky should last for 6 months in the freezer. I vac seal then wrap my jerky, sticks and sausage before freezing.

The above is my way because i use my own marinades and cure. Dont know about HM shelf times cuz i dont like it.

nepas

MontanaGuy

Nepas, thanks for the quick response.  I think I'm going to try the glass jar idea for anything that we'll eat within a couple weeks.  I'll stick with the ziplock and foil wrap for my frozen stuff.  Per your comments I'll probably contact HM to see what they say too.

Thanks again

JF7FSU

I'd be interested in HM's comments if you find out, please post. 
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

NePaSmoKer

The jars are better and bigger.

Here is what i used to use but it was small.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/806

nepas

MontanaGuy

JF7FSU asked that I post any feedback I got from HM regarding storage of jerky.  Here is what they told me:

"We do not recommend you keep your jerky on the counter. It does not have preservatives in it like the brands you buy in the store. Doing this enables us to ensure a healthy product. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to a month and the freezer up to six months."

I thought the curing process would protect it like a preservative.  Guess I don't understand what curing does!  Anyway, I'll stick with putting my frozen stuff in a ziplock and wrapped with tinfoil in the freezer.  For the stuff I'll be eating soon, I'm going to try Nepas idea of the glass jar with holes but won't leave it on the counter for more than a week.  I would think that the HM would be OK for that long.

NePaSmoKer

Use Potassium Sorbate

I ship my jerky to my sons in Iraq and Afghanistan with no problems. Sometimes they dont get it for 3 weeks.

nepas

MontanaGuy

Nepas.............is PS something I can buy at the local grocery?  Is it something I apply after the jerky is smoked and dried?

FLBentRider

You can get it at most sausage supply places.

Allied Kenco has it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

and you can get it at any wine making supply place... I add 1/2 t per gallon of wine to prevent any refermentation.

So how much do you use on the jerky?

When and how do you add it to the jerky?

I brought some jerky to work that I made for my other brother John and after eating a few he wanted to know if he needed to keep in in the fridge... I told him it depends on how long the jerky will be stored. He just tossed the bag on the counter and grinned. It was an empty bag the next day.

Thanks
John

JF7FSU

Thanks for the report. :D

Quote from: MontanaGuy on August 04, 2009, 04:55:56 AM
JF7FSU asked that I post any feedback I got from HM regarding storage of jerky.  Here is what they told me:

"We do not recommend you keep your jerky on the counter. It does not have preservatives in it like the brands you buy in the store. Doing this enables us to ensure a healthy product. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to a month and the freezer up to six months."

I thought the curing process would protect it like a preservative.  Guess I don't understand what curing does!  Anyway, I'll stick with putting my frozen stuff in a ziplock and wrapped with tinfoil in the freezer.  For the stuff I'll be eating soon, I'm going to try Nepas idea of the glass jar with holes but won't leave it on the counter for more than a week.  I would think that the HM would be OK for that long.

Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

NePaSmoKer

Mix 1/2 tsp to a spray bottle of water, mix well and spray it on the cooled finished jerky before packaging. Let the spray completely dry on the jerky.

nepas

MontanaGuy

Thanks Nepas............I'll pickup some PS this weekend

That_jerk

I thought the curing process would protect it like a preservative.  Guess I don't understand what curing does! says Montana guy.

The Curing specifically for this purpose is to aid in the dehydration and very little preserving depending how your process works .

Many are not sure even if to cook the meat or not before jerking.

I Do Not.

Very thin strips of london broil (least amount of fat)

Metal mallet to pound the salt into it

Lots of salt for curing and it seasons the meat also.

In the oven at a moderate 192 degrees F for the night

Try not to layer meat on bottom racks directly under meat strips above it (ewe)

The curing removes alot of the moisture mainly to lighten up the weight (by some 80%!!)

Then when it is eaten it will partially rehydrate, so a few pieces of jerky adds up to a steak after 20-30 minutes!

The meat slices are 1/8th thick (max 3/16) for this curing time.

I never used a dehydrator so you have to play around to get it right.

This is Basic trail jerky that will last 2 weeks in a ziplock bag. Longer if its un-opend with Co2 removers.