HM Kits Way Too Salty?

Started by Reboot, March 27, 2011, 02:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reboot

Anyone else here have much luck with the HM jerky kits?  I've tried three different flavors, measured the ingredients exactly, and they all come out really salty.  The meat retains a nice color and and texture, but it's almost inedible...almost! (it IS jerky after all) it still seems to disappear.

My cure#1 finally arrived yesterday, so I'm wondering if I replace the HM cure (which is really more like MTQ from what I've learned) with cure#1, if will effect the saltiness.  ???

Any tips or tricks appreciated as always - thanks!   ;)

muebe

I just made some Jerky Nuggets with cure#1 and Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade and it did not turn out too salty at all....

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

When I use HM Jerky mix I cut back on the spices by about half a Tablespoon and keep the cure the same as what they call for per pound of meat. Also the Salt flavor will not be as strong after it sits in the refrigerater for a couple days , so dont trash it yet ;D

NePaSmoKer

One of the reasons i dont use HM.....But this is a long story i wont go into......DO'H

RAF128

I've done lots of HM jerky and never had a problem.

Reboot

Quote from: Keymaster on March 27, 2011, 03:39:50 PM
When I use HM Jerky mix I cut back on the spices by about half a Tablespoon and keep the cure the same as what they call for per pound of meat. Also the Salt flavor will not be as strong after it sits in the refrigerater for a couple days , so dont trash it yet ;D

Now why didn't I think of that?  Thanks for the tip - not trashing it yet; just wanted to see others' experience was.

Reboot

Quote from: muebe on March 27, 2011, 02:28:09 PM
I just made some Jerky Nuggets with cure#1 and Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade and it did not turn out too salty at all....

Those look AWESOME!

Tiny Tim

My first batch I thought was pretty salty as well...second one I couldn't smoke after an overnight in the fridge, so it stayed in the "cure" stage for an extra couple days before smoking and drying...that batch came out much lighter on the salty taste.

pfowl01

QuoteI've done lots of HM jerky and never had a problem.     
I make about 15lbs a year and never had a salty one yet.

RAF128

When I posted the last time on this I was going to mention that the HM kit instruction give 2 different sets of instructions.    One for whole muscle meat and another for ground meat and the amounts of spice and cure is different.   You have to be careful not to use the wrong one.    That might explain the too salty taste.

Wingman

I have been using over 10 years and never had a problem

Reboot

Quote from: RAF128 on March 28, 2011, 10:53:31 AM
When I posted the last time on this I was going to mention that the HM kit instruction give 2 different sets of instructions.    One for whole muscle meat and another for ground meat and the amounts of spice and cure is different.   You have to be careful not to use the wrong one.    That might explain the too salty taste.
I'm thinking that must be what I did wrong - I was making another batch and almost used the wrong directions.  Nobody else seems to have this problem so it must be me - I'm off to make another batch!

Thanks everyone!