Crab and Lobster.

Started by manxman, February 15, 2005, 02:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Hi Folks,

Anyone got any experience of smoking either crab or lobster? I have seen the post from December relating to lobster but if anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate it?

I have a licence to catch lobster and crab from the boat, it's not a commercial licence but it still means I get to catch a good few during the summer months and freeze some to last over the winter. Have tried various ways of eating them, typically have lobster as surfn'turf with a fillet steak, often grilling em with melted butter and a touch of garlic and/or chilli oil. Usually have the crab in a salad or make crab pate but have tried all sorts.

Just nice to experiment with something different occasionally so if anyone has any ideas........????

Manxman.
Manxman

Chez Bubba

Manxman,

Most of my experience comes from shrimp, but I have tried lobster once based on the shrimp experiences. With shrimp, they have to be shelled in order for the smoke to penetrate. Hot smoked, they won't take very long, but that's OK because the meat has such a delicate flavor, a little smoke goes a long way.

Lobsters I knew would take longer to cook, so I only wanted to partially expose the flesh to the smoke. I also figured they need to be kept moist, so I called up my buddy Buttah! I used kitchen shears to cut away the bottoms of the tails and enough of the claws to make them resemble lipped bowls.

I liberally spread my buddy on top of the meat, a little salt & pepper, and put them in the smoker for about 2 hours.[:p]

I know I preach to not open the door, but when you're doing such delicate food, you kind of have to violate that rule. Better an extra 1/2 hour to cook than overcooking them.

Kirk

Edit: I just noticed you have been blessed in getting my millenium post! Give pity to those poor 999 other buggers behind ya![;)][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Manxman,

Edit: I just noticed you have been blessed in getting my millenium post! Give pity to those poor 999 other buggers behind ya![;)][:D][:D]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dang!! I believe THAT oughta be worth a free Bradley, Admiral Kirk!! [:D][:D][;)][:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

manxman

Hi Chez,

What pucks did you use for smoking, I would imagine a mild smoke would be best? I certainly agree that your mate Buttah is the best companion for lobster, need to keep it simple with most seafood methinks.

What smoke do you tend to use on shrimp?

<b>Congratulations on reaching your millenium, honoured indeed! Here's to the next thousand! </b>[:D][:D][:D][:D][8D]

I do wish Grakka offered ur Bubba Pucks in the U.K, those and a Maverick probe would be good buys but neither are available in the UK. Probably be a very small market for such items I suppose.[:(!]

Have to plan ahead when next I am on the other side of the pond! That and a few of the ready made rubs you guys talk about!!!! [:D][:p][:D][:p]

Manxman.
Manxman

tsquared

I haven't tried smoking crab or lobster but I have a Chinese fishing buddy who whips up an awesome dish of blackbean crab when we are camped on the beach. We clean our Dungeness crab before boiling(knock the top shell off and break the body in two, shaking the innards out.)Boil them up for a few minutes, cool and then break the legs off with a section of the body. My partner makes his own homemade blackbean sauce[:p][:p]but I've used commercially available sauce at home. Just chow some onion and garlic, throw in the crab legs and add the sauce with some chinese cooking wine. Along with a rock cod in sweet and sour and some wokked vegies and rice it makes an unbelievable dinner as you're sitting in front of the beach fire watching the waves roll in and the sun set...Oh God...come on summer!! [8D]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />Hi Chez,

What pucks did you use for smoking, I would imagine a mild smoke would be best? I certainly agree that your mate Buttah is the best companion for lobster, need to keep it simple with most seafood methinks.

What smoke do you tend to use on shrimp?

<b>Congratulations on reaching your millenium, honoured indeed! Here's to the next thousand! </b>[:D][:D][:D][:D][8D]

I do wish Grakka offered ur Bubba Pucks in the U.K, those and a Maverick probe would be good buys but neither are available in the UK. Probably be a very small market for such items I suppose.[:(!]

Have to plan ahead when next I am on the other side of the pond! That and a few of the ready made rubs you guys talk about!!!! [:D][:p][:D][:p]

Manxman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Paul,

Usually I'm smoking them as a teaser until the real meal is done, so they get hickory or maple or pecan or.... They're in for such a short time that & don't think the "heavier" woods overpower them. That being said, if I were making them as a main course, I would probably use apple.

We can, and have shipped Bubba Pucks to the UK, shipping is about $20.00 though. Also, if you tell me where you'd like me to purchase it, I'd be willing to buy a Maverick unit & send it too. You'd wind up paying double shipping though, them to me, then me to you. Just a thought.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

manxman

Hi,

To tsquared many thanks for that recipe, that is one I will most definately be doing!!!! Have just the beach lined up for a spot of camping and cooking come the summer!!

To Kummock and Kirk, many thanks for you kind offers to help me out with regards to getting hold of bubba pucks and or a Maverick, I will be in contact by email in the near future.... really was quite overwhelmed by your offers of help![:)][:)]

This weekend it's brisket and spare ribs time, my seven year old son is a spare rib fiend!!! [:D][:D][:D][:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

tsquared

Here is a link showing my nephew and I holding a big bowl of cleaned and cooked Dungeness crab while we were camping last summer. He bragged to his girlfriend that I couldn't put enough crab in front of him to fill him up. 3 crabs later he was done. 1 crab will fill me...oh to be in my 20's again. Our routine is to throw out a couple of crab pots baited with salmon heads on the way out to fish and check and rebait them on the way back in. Then into the wharf and to the campsite for crab and salmon...

Tom

Oldman

tsquared,
I don't know what you missed in the tags I sent to you but this is a copy from the E-mail I sent, and as you can see the tags work.

EDIT I see what you did wrong. Some how you started out the string with a closing tag instead of a beginning tag.

This is an ending tag not a beginning tag--&gt;<b>[/url]</b>

You can see it is the last (ending) tag as it is on the right hand side of your small picture.

Remove the off switch <b>/</b> from the first tag in the string and your picture will work like it does in my post here.  

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

Done. Thanks for the patience Raye, you're a champ.
Tom

Oldman

You are more than welcome friend. Next keep that coding and if you do use photobuck just make two images of the same picture. Only make one smaller. The smaller one goes between the [img] tags. If you go back you will see that both images have the same address and are named the same with the exception that the smaller image name ends in -0.jpg.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!