Back on the Cold Smoker Qs

Started by twl, August 01, 2009, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twl

There were several comments from guys outside the US who are unable to get an acceptable replacement tube/hose. 3", 4" & 5" flex Al tubing is readilly available here. If you can't get what you need, I'll get you hooked up with a store that will ship to you or I'll send it and you reemburse me.

Walleye, Your Al tube runs from the side of the Bradley down thru a hole in your table. Is your pan box sitting on the floor? How are you attaching the ends to the box and to the smoker?
twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

Habanero Smoker

I'm in the U.S., and still looking for 5" flexible tubing, but I prefer plastic or the laminated aluminum hose (laminated being my preference). In my area they don't carry 5"; only 4" and 6". Can you post a link to their website (if they have one).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

TWL

The cold smoke box was originally a 10 gallon hydraulic oil reservoir. It's made of 1/8 inch steel and is about 16 inches square and tall. It was new and never used so I didn't have to worry about the oil contamination. I had to cut a 4.5 inch hole for the generator, a 4 inch hole for the vent to the smoker and a 7 inch by 12 inch hole for the door. I welder a 4" nipple on the top for the aluminium flex vent to connect to. I connected the 4" aluminium flex vent to the Bradley simply by running it through the hole where the generator used to be. Using 4" aluminium flex vent it's a snug fit getting it in there but once you get it in you just flair it a bit on the inside of the tower. Next I built a door that was 14 inches by 9 inches to allow for a 1 inch overlap to insure a good seal. I discovered that if your use 1/4 inch carriage bolts in a 1/4 inch hole the square collar of the bolt works perfect to hang the generator on. I also used carriage bolts to make adjustable legs for it. I managed to get the door to seal very well and with the draw of the rising smoke to the tower unit I have no leaks at the door even though I didn't use any type of seal on it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

twl

twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

twl

HS,
Here is another hose supplier. This one has Aluminum which, of course, would be a better heat exchanger with the ambient air.
Do you know the temp of the smoke laden air comming out of the generator? Perhaps you don't have to worry about cooling the smoke further?

twl
twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: twl on August 03, 2009, 11:56:35 AM
HS,
Here is another hose supplier. This one has Aluminum which, of course, would be a better heat exchanger with the ambient air.
Do you know the temp of the smoke laden air comming out of the generator? Perhaps you don't have to worry about cooling the smoke further?

twl

It depends on the ambient temperature, but I generally don't have to worry about the smoke temperature coming into the cabinet. Also the length of the tubing will be 8 feet or more. I generally will cold smoke early mornings or late evenings.

I prefer something that if more flexible then metal flex tubing because I have a temporary cold smoke setup which I need to assemble and take apart often. The metal flex tubing doesn't hold up well under such use, also the metal flex will not bend enough for my setup.

The link you provided gives me a lot of options, and really helps. I have to look into it further, but it looks like the FLX-20 TOUGH STUFF, FDA Clear will be my best choice.

Thanks

I
         don't
                   inhale.

twl

I see from your post script pix that you use a face mask while smoking. Whatz in the filter?
twl
twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

Habanero Smoker

It's kind of a joke. There was a lengthy discussion on Flavor Fatigue some time back so I decided to add that picture in my post script. I never gave much thought of what to say if someone asked me about the filter. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.