My New Bradley Smells

Started by BigJohnT, August 01, 2009, 05:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: smokeitall on August 01, 2009, 07:15:10 PM
That looks great John, only thing missing is your controls.  ;D ;D 
By the way I changed you to a 4" touch screen yesterday because the 3" was out of stock.  You should have it Monday, thermocouple cassette soon after.  The wrong cable will show up but don't worry I have the right one for you in my truck.
SIA

Are you into custom PID work??

BigJohnT

You might say so, I design and build automation equipment. The PID component is a part of the Programmable Logic Controller that has two thermocouple inputs as well as some other inputs and outputs. The Touch screen communicates to the PLC via a serial link. I will program the whole cycle into the PLC via the touch screen. This will do quite a bit more than a PID controller.

John

squirtthecat

That's cool..   I do software development, but on PCs, 'nixen and the Big IBM Iron.  I've done some WinCE embedded stuff, but only as a test port.  Never anything at the PLC level.

I could have some fun with a remote serial interface to my Bradley..

You'll have to tell me more about it when you get it all up and cooking.

BigJohnT

There is a software PLC called Classicladder that is free. I does run on Linux... Add a break out board to drive a relay from your parallel port and then you just need to figure out how to get the temperature reading back into the PC... I think there is some hobby guys that do that for reading air temperature or things like that... I'm familiar with Classicladder as it is also included in with the Enhanced Machine Control software known as EMC2. I've been with that project for a few years mainly as a document writer because programmers make terrible documentation. I use EMC2 to control a CNC Plasma table that I designed and built. It can control up to a 9 axis machine robot or whatever.

I'll start a new thread detailing the controls.

John

squirtthecat

Quote from: BigJohnT on August 03, 2009, 04:51:58 AM
because programmers make terrible documentation

Amen, bro!  I hate writing doc...   

Looking forward to the project details.   That blends 2 of my favorite pastimes, custom software and outdoor cooking.