Smoke Ring Question

Started by jjesq99, August 05, 2009, 08:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjesq99

What's the best wood to use to get a real dark/pink smoke ring on ribs or brisket.  I have used apple, hickory and a combination of the two and have yet to get that dark/pink ring that I like.

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

NePaSmoKer

You will not get a smoke ring in a Bradley smoker.

A smoke ring is a pink discoloration of meat just under the surface crust (called bark). It can be just a thin line of pink or a rather thick layer. The smoke ring is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

nepas

Ka Honu

... and, to add to nepas's scientific explanation, it has absolutely nothing to do with the taste of the meat.

Habanero Smoker

Hi jjesq99,

Welcome to the forum.

As NePas has pointed out, if you are using the Bradley smoker you cannot achieve a smoke ring (unless you are using the propane smoker). Outside the barbecue circles smoke ring is called pink ring, because the ring is not caused by smoke. In order to get sufficient amounts of nitrogen dioxide, the organic fuel (which includes wood, charcoal, propane and natural gas) must be burned at a higher temperature then the temperature the bisquettes smolder at. You can also achieve the "smoke ring" in your propane oven. As long as the meat is uncovered and you use low temperatures from 200°F - 300°F.

If you want to create the appearance you are used to, you can fake a smoke ring by applying a cure that has sodium nitrite in it to the surface of the meat, such as Morton's Tender Quick. The longer you leave it on the surface the deeper the ring. Thoroughly wash off the cure prior to smoking/cooking. The problem with making a fake ring, if you use too much cure, and/or cure for too long you may end up with a slight corned beef flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there jjesq99 and welcome to the forum,

although I am a new comer to this wonderful forum but I did bring up the very same subject a couple of weeks ago.

I can not do the wonderful explanations and the others did, but I have read some where that lighting up a couple of charcoals and put it in the electrical smoker would circumvent that problem and you should get a pink / smoke ring. I have not tried it out yet because I only received my BDS this past Tuesday but planning to do so this weekend.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

buttburner

this is t he only fault I can find with this fine smoking machine!

Its no big deal to me.

Actually I am fine with it. My wife and kids and others who arent aware of the smoke ring thought that the meat was not cooked, I had to keep explaining to them about the smoke ring

so im my case I am glad its not there LOL

jjesq99

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on August 06, 2009, 04:28:17 AM

although I am a new comer to this wonderful forum but I did bring up the very same subject a couple of weeks ago.

I can not do the wonderful explanations and the others did, but I have read some where that lighting up a couple of charcoals and put it in the electrical smoker would circumvent that problem and you should get a pink / smoke ring. I have not tried it out yet because I only received my BDS this past Tuesday but planning to do so this weekend.

HR

Thank you all for your responses.  I guess if the taste is not affected, then it matters little.

BUt Hopeful Romantic, please let me know if your charcoal trick works.  Godd luck!

Thank you all again.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on August 06, 2009, 04:28:17 AM

HR

Also I would like to know how this turns out and where you place the coals and how many. I don't care about the pink ring, I'm more curious about the charcoal flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Habanero smoker,

this is an honor and a privilege for some one of your smoking stature to ask my humble openion of how things turn out and I will make sure that I will let you know.

i am planning a big introductory dinner tomorrow night for a group of epicures. The menu is going to be maxican caviar and smoked deviled eggs for appetisers. Smoked chicken, fish and potatoes for main course and yes the charcoal will be present. There shall be pics and I hope they will measure up to yours, other senior members and all others. expect some surprises in scenery.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on August 08, 2009, 03:00:48 PM

this is an honor and a privilege for some one of your smoking stature to ask my humble openion of how things turn out and I will make sure that I will let you know.

i am planning a big introductory dinner tomorrow night for a group of epicures. The menu is going to be maxican caviar and smoked deviled eggs for appetisers. Smoked chicken, fish and potatoes for main course and yes the charcoal will be present. There shall be pics and I hope they will measure up to yours, other senior members and all others. expect some surprises in scenery.

HR

HR

Watch the charcoal with the eggs  :-X

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on August 08, 2009, 03:00:48 PM

HR

That the great thing about smoking and barbecuing there is always learning and sharing going on.

You got me interested in what to expect from your pictures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mikecorn.1

Interesting, would also like to see the final results of the charcoal trick and where you would place them.  :)
Mike

NePaSmoKer

The charcoal can ruin the eggs real fast