Hot smoking Sturgeon fillets

Started by Amanda, August 05, 2009, 06:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda

Just wondering how long I should cure the fillets and how long I should hot smoke them for and at what temperature....

Thanks for your help!

Amanda :)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Amanda!

As far as Sturgeon, I don't know, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with an answer.

I've never had sturgeon, is it "like" another fish ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikeradio

OU812

Welcome to the fun Amanda

As far as smoking Sturgeon I couldnt tell you but when we fish in the mighty mo we catch them all the time when were trying to catch some cats all we can do is cuss then through them back, we cant keep them, its a state law  :(

Amanda

Thanks so much for replying!  Sturgeon is quite dense and fleshy and withstands almost anything!

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome aboard Amanda. Never had Sturgeon yet but have heard it is quite good.
HawkeyeSmokes

Smokin Soon

It's been a long time, but from what I do recall, cook with any catfish recipe you like.

Jimmy

Hi Amanda,

I have smoked sturgeon twice that was caught from the Colombia river in WA and the first time, we cooked it way too long, thinking it was like salmon was a mistake, it has alot less oil and a much denser meat, it turned out alot like over cooked dry pork chops..

The second time, I marinated it for 2 days in olive oil and spices @ 40 degrees after cutting out all of the brown/red (blood) parts from the meat, they are the about the only parts that really taste fishy and in my opinion should be removed before cooking/smoking. I then smoked in an offset smoker @180 for about 3-4 hours with some NW oak and it turned out awesome...