Kummok salmon shelf life?

Started by Xtrema312, August 05, 2009, 03:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xtrema312

What is the shelf or should I say refrigerator life of salmon prepared with the Kummok recipe or other similar ones?  I just did up about 8# for someone, and they wanted to know how long it will last. For me it is not very long. ;D  The three pounds I kept for smoking it is about gone on day two.

pensrock

lol, the only way I can keep any around is to vac pac it and hide it in the freezer. lol

Maybe Kummok will see this and let you know his thoughts. he checks in pretty often, but he's probably out there hauling in load after load of big kings.  ;D
pens

Kummok

Actually turned down a fishing trip yesterday (and ATV trip today  :-\ ) so saw this earlier than usual..... ;)

I treat the smoked salmon in the reefer the same as cheese....keep what I think I need in the reefer and use as needed. If mold shows, cut off the mold and eat anyway!  :o  I don't actually recommend this to anyone, it's just the way I handle it IF I have it in the reefer for a long period.  Best and safest method is the "normal" way I use it...keep in freezer until day before needed for a recipe, then thaw in reefer until used/served. When I send any, I send it straight from the freezer. Sometimes I'll even eat it still frozen but you must remember that I've finally come to smoking it in bite size pieces so it is much easier to handle this way.....for smoking larger size pieces, see the "cheese" method above.......

sonny red

I have had smoked salmon in the fridge for 2 weeks with no problem at all..but the only reason it was there that long was it got pushed under and hidden by accident by my kids,,,it usually only last 2 or 3 days tops...

mcalpin1

ExpatCanadian

I've kept Kummok's salmon for around 2 weeks in the fridge with no adverse effects....  I made the bonehead mistake of packaging up far to many pieces per package, so it took me a while to get through it all.