Can I smoke a 2nd time if my sausages have not cooked overnight

Started by 1962taff, August 07, 2009, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1962taff

This is only the second time I have used my four rack digital smoker, I pre heated my smoker with the sausages in having read they need to form a tacky surface before smoking. I did this for an hour. I then put the temperature up by the hour following instructions I found from eHow.com because instruction for link sausages are sadly lacking from Bradley. After three hours it looked as though they would not cook in the four hours I had preset so I added another hour, the instruction said between 4 and 6 hrs and found this result this morning after 5 hrs smoking. My question is can I smoke them a second time to finish them or can anybody give advise on how to do them properly.

Sorry I can't add an image for some reason.

Kind regards
1962taff

Habanero Smoker

I wouldn't attempt to smoke them again in the smoker. At high temperatures (140°F and higher) sodium nitrite chemically changes and no longer provide protection. Even during curing, at room temperature sodium nitrite is only effective for a week or two (depending on ambient temperature). You best options are to either finish them by frying them in a large skillet with a lid at very low heat, almost sauteing until they are done, or treat them like uncooked sausage, and store and cook them as if they are raw.

What cabinet temperature did you start at, and how did you ramp the temperature up and what temperature did you ramp it up to?

How do you know they were not fully cooked? Did you take the internal temperature of one or more sausages, or did you cut one in half or did you go by looks?

There a several ways you can smoke sausage, the way you choose is up to you. Personally I now air dry my sausage outside of the cabinet. I don't make that much at a time, so space is not a problem for me. After air drying I'll place them in the smoker at 110°F - 120°F, and begin applying smoke (three hours total). After two hours I raise the cabinet temperature to 130°F - 140°F hold it at that temperature for three hours, and bump the temperature to 170°F until the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 152°F. Take them out of the smoker, and shock with ice water (submerge sausage in ice water until the internal temperature drops to about 140°F). Remove from water pat dry with paper towels, and allow to air dry once more.

If you check some of the post in this thread, you will find many helpful hints. Or check out the recipe site.

Sausage

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum 1962taff!

If you click on the ribs at the bottom of my post, it will take you to our recipe site.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

No dont smoke the sausage a second time. You can get very sick from this. If doing beef jerky you can get away with a second smoke but it has to be a cold smoke.

nepas