Marinaded Chicken

Started by BigJohnT, August 08, 2009, 10:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

This is 2 gallons of marinaded chicken fixing to go into the refrigerator for smoking tomorrow...

It's marinading in my family's secret marinade passed down from my Mother to me.

John

Up In Smoke

What??? a secret marinade? here we go again........what is it going to take to get the receipt for this one? :D :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

oakville smoker

NATIONAL ENQUIRER wants to know ......
How did those chickens wind up in those jars?
It must be nasty being a chicken raised in those conditions !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

mikecorn.1

No secrets here. At least post a pic of all the ingredients for us.  ;D
Mike

BigJohnT

Marinated Chicken

In a gallon glass jar mix the following:
1 cup salad oil
2 cups white vinegar
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons salt

Cut up chicken into small parts (cut breasts into 2 to 4 pieces)
Salt each piece on both sides
Fill jar with chicken and cover
Make sure you don't over pack the jar.
Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours turning jar occasionally

Start with a low heat and grill until oil and fat have dripped away.
Alternate you can make a pan of doubled up tin foil and cook chicken in the pan first.
You can dip the chicken in the marinade half way through for extra flavor.
Watch close for flare-ups from the fat on the skin and the oil dripping!
Raise heat and brown skin.

This chicken is real tasty right out of the cooler at a picnic.

I thought this was an old family recipe from Flint Mich where my Mom was born so I asked her one day and she said Oh no I cut it out of a Better Homes and Garden magazine when you were a little boy. I've always done this on the grill and I usually make 2 gallons at a time. My thoughts are 1hr of Alder and 225°F till done.

John

Tenpoint5

Big John your EASY!!! Nepas usually makes us wait 3 or 4 postings before giving up a "Secret Receipt" ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 08, 2009, 03:14:24 PM
Big John your EASY!!! Nepas usually makes us wait 3 or 4 postings before giving up a "Secret Receipt" ;D ;D

and then we get it in pieces..... :D

HawkeyeSmokes

Sounds good Big John. Do you think a few minutes on the grill to crisp the skin after smoking would work?
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

You recipe is very similar to Cornell Chicken, with a few extra herbs and seasonings, minus the egg. When I use the recipe for marinating I only marinade for 2 - 4 hours or the vinegar begins to break down the proteins in the meat.

I see you marinate for 24 hours - the meat doesn't get mushy?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigJohnT

I usually go overnight whatever that ends up being... usually 12 hours. The meat is firm and tasty. I'll have to look at the skin to see if it needs crisping. The wings I did last weekend did not need anything but eating. It was easier to just cut and paste the whole recipe than dangle everyone on...  8) I'm fixing to put them on here in a few minutes. Just doing some last minute programming on the AutoMagical Smoker Controller.

John

BigJohnT

The chicken came out much better than doing it on the grill. Very juicy and tasty. I did brown them off on the grill.

John