'Smoke Shed' turkey

Started by squirtthecat, August 08, 2009, 10:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Smoke #1 of the day...    Buttermilk brined turkey breast roast. (Honeysuckle White, 3.5 lbs)

My current setup. (impromptu shelves, exhaust fan, cat litter bucket trash can, a couple of remote thermos)

Oh, and my small Kiddie is never far away...   "Just In Case"

The 2nd remote thermo is resting against the back of the shed to measure air temperature behind my 'heat shields'. (foil cookie sheets)   If it goes over 150, I know something is about to go terribly wrong.

It is sitting on the kitchen counter now.

When this is done (hopefully for dinner, but I'm not counting on it), I'll put in the pork butt.

Might do some MOINK balls in between to snack on.  (although all I have is turkey bacon - MURK balls??)

Updated.   I set up 2/3rd of my Cabela's camp kitchen so I have some work space.  Setting the food on the ground wasn't too cool.

FLBentRider

I like the table setup.

How small does it fold?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Pretty small..   I'll get a pic of the bag next time I go out to the garage.   It's 'luggable'.   Easier w/ 2 people.

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 08, 2009, 12:00:46 PM
I like the table setup.

How small does it fold?

The bag it all fits in is 3.5' long, 2.5' tall and about 8" thick when packed.  Weighs a good 55+ pounds.   

I just use it for parties, but it is pretty handy.  A coworker bought one to use in his house while he tears his kitchen out.

Tenpoint5

Squirt pretty good looking setup there.

PS; I couldn't get the links to your picks to open up. kept getting an error message
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

I'll post them again 'inline' so they show up in the forum.

squirtthecat

Turkey finished at 4.  I pulled it at 159 and it is  FTC'd now.    While it was still going, I did some MURK balls. (Moo + Turkey)    I guess I could call them MOBBLE balls instead.

Anyway, turkey bacon was all I had - the Mrs won't eat much of the real stuff.

They turned out pretty good!   I figured the turkey bacon would dry out, but the meatballs kept it nice and moist.  I left them in for about 90 minutes, sauced, back in the box for a few more minutes, then let sit.   

Tasty!

squirtthecat

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 08, 2009, 12:10:06 PM
Here are a bunch of pics of it 'in action', including the link to it on Cabelas.
Sorry for not embedding them, doing some other chores right now.

We'll try this again...   With some commentary.

Some shots from it's maiden voyage at my buddies house.  (including my EZ-Up tent that was neither EZ nor 'up' - it has been retired now)

A closeup of one of the optional 'pantry' bags it has hanging on the sides.  Good for keeping stuff out of the rain.  (and that is my trusty Kiddie standing guard)

Here is the whole setup in action on the 4th of July.  It rained all day, so we borrowed at 12x14' canopy from a neighbor.  We've got a roaster, boombox/cooler and pressure cooker all jamming away in the background.

It was a Christmas present, and I thought "why on Earth did she buy me this..  We don't camp.."   But we use it all the time for parties.

deb415611

Squirt,

What brand is your pressure cooker?  I'm assuming it's electric...   Do you like it (the brand),  electric pressure cookers are awesome?

I had one (can't think of the brand) but it only lasted about a year and I'll probably replace it in the fall.

Deb

CB

I'm liken that looks like a Char-Broil - do you and he like it?
Happy Grilling!

squirtthecat

Quote from: deb415611 on August 08, 2009, 03:49:24 PM
Squirt,

What brand is your pressure cooker?  I'm assuming it's electric...   Do you like it (the brand),  electric pressure cookers are awesome?

I had one (can't think of the brand) but it only lasted about a year and I'll probably replace it in the fall.

Deb

This was a present a couple years ago from the MIL. It was a 'Wolfgang Puck' brand from the Home Shopping Network.   (yes, electric)  I use it almost once a week...  99.9% for vegetables. (quick cook of carrots and new potatoes, etc.)

I've done some sweet corn in it, and most recently - fresh broccoli and green beans from a coworkers garden.

3 minutes under pressure and Wam!  Good eats.

Works great! 

squirtthecat

Quote from: CB on August 08, 2009, 04:14:08 PM

It is a Weber Spirit E-320.   I just got it this past Spring.   I had a 'Kenmore' (Char-Broil w/ the sears badging) for years, and spent 100s of dollars on it every other year replacing the burner/racks/etc.   Hated to give it up, but it was disintegrating before my eyes.

Broke down and spent the $$$ on the Weber.   Love it.   The 'guts' (burners/bars/racks) are stainless steel, and the whole thing is guaranteed for 10-15 years.

I added a top rack to it with some parts from the local farm store to double the cooking area.

Results:

(last post on this subject, as we are veering away from the Bradley)

Caneyscud

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 08, 2009, 05:57:48 PM
Quote from: CB on August 08, 2009, 04:14:08 PM

It is a Weber Spirit E-320.   I just got it this past Spring.   I had a 'Kenmore' (Char-Broil w/ the sears badging) for years, and spent 100s of dollars on it every other year replacing the burner/racks/etc.   Hated to give it up, but it was disintegrating before my eyes.

Broke down and spent the $$$ on the Weber.   Love it.   The 'guts' (burners/bars/racks) are stainless steel, and the whole thing is guaranteed for 10-15 years.

I added a top rack to it with some parts from the local farm store to double the cooking area.

Results:

(last post on this subject, as we are veering away from the Bradley)

I know it's late, but there may be some leftovers - can I come over?  That is a good looking load of food!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"