'Smoke Shed' pork butt

Started by squirtthecat, August 08, 2009, 05:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Turkey dinner is done and cleaned up. Pulled some sweet corn out of the freezer, soaked for a bit, wrapped in foiil and steamed on the top rack of the gasser.   Everything turned out great.   I'm loving the Bradley..

Next up, 5.5 lb pork butt for a friend.

Rubbed (CYM and Famous Dave's rib rub) and resting.

Ready to go, adding one more thermo to double-check the temps.

SquirtTheCat digging the first 2 hours of Hickory and standing guard over the 'patio'.

Got too close to the perimeter..

Mr Walleye

Your a smokin' machine STC!  :D

Looks like your new setup is going to work perfect.

Lookin' good, can't wait for the completed pictures.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

squirtthecat

Thanks MrW!    The OBS is just too much fun...

I write software for what feels like 24x7..   No kids.   So this is my primary hobby.   

My buddy is in he same boat, so we call it "Sport Cooking".
(cooking as a Sport, try new things, eat some of it, and give the rest away to friends/coworkers)

The wives like the byproducts as well.  :)

squirtthecat

20.5 hours later...   My Maverick finally beeped.  190 - yeah!  (next time I'll up the cabinet temp - this one stayed at 200 most of the time - I was just nervous last night while it sat out there unsupervised)

Out of the Bradley...

And into the pan to get foiled.

Going to Wally World for some supplies, and I'll pull it when I get home.   Should be easy - it felt like Jello trying to pick it up off of the rack..

Thanks for all of the tips/advice everyone! 

Tenpoint5

A shot of yellow sauce on that when you pull it will make a great sammie!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Just pulled it...    OH MY!   

Unfortunately, it's not for me.  (barter for the use of a coworker's pickup truck + gas)  But I will set aside a little bit to nibble on!

Is that bone 'dog safe'?   I know a guy with a couple of Beagles...  This would make their day.

squirtthecat

Final results...

Was expecting a little more meat than that, but know I can get a feel for meet <> fat <> waste.

All in all, very good!  Too bad I have to give it away tomorrow..

Caneyscud

Good looking eats there Squirt!  I'd definitely recommend 225 deg. next time.  Saw your cabinet at Home Depot yesterday while buying a new water heater (old one sprung a leak - fun, fun, fun) and thought about your project.  If'n I hadn't just already bought my new cabinet, I'd have bought me one. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

Thanks!  Yes, I will amp it up a bit next time.   There wasn't much 'pulling' involved, gravity did most of the work..

I finally heard back from my landscapers on the concrete work, they are coming after Sep 1st do do the curbing, strip the sod and pull a tree stump that is in the way.  After they clear out, I will cover in landscape fabric and move a METRIC #&#^^TON of rock into place to fill..   

Actually, I'll hire a couple nearby college boys (football players at a school that just dropped their football program - so they are big, and bored..) to move the rock in exchange for $15/hr and a Bradley full of smoked turkey legs!

I will have an entire pictorial on that project.

js185vx

I hate to change the subject, but what kind of cat is that squirt?

squirtthecat

Quote from: js185vx on August 10, 2009, 10:40:34 AM
I hate to change the subject, but what kind of cat is that squirt?

He's just a big mutt.   Born under my neighbor's chimney.    18 16 pounds and diabetic..

degenerazn

Looks great, I'm about to do 4 butts on Friday.  Probably around 20lbs worth.  Did you have to trim off the fat before you smoked it?

FLBentRider

I leave them just the way the come out of the package.

With that much meat in the smoker, don't be concerned, the temp will take a while to come back up.

I put the probe under the lowest butt.

You might also have some fun getting them to fit. Sometimes I stand them on the bone end and put two on each rack to get four in there.

Like this:
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: degenerazn on August 16, 2009, 09:36:20 PM
Looks great, I'm about to do 4 butts on Friday.  Probably around 20lbs worth.  Did you have to trim off the fat before you smoked it?

No, I didn't trim it a bit.  I just let it warm up to room temps a bit, then slathered some yellow mustard and Famous Dave's rib rub all over it...     Came out great.

degenerazn

FLB..that looks exactly like how I plan on doing it.  I see that you don't want your pork butts touching each other.  How long did you smoke those butts with and with what flavor smoke?  Did you switch the trays midway thru the smoke?  Overall, how long did that entire process take?  I have a potluck to go to this saturday and want it to be hot and ready by 7pm.

Also, with the fat, I buy these buys from costco and they come with a good size layer of fat on top.  Its better to cook with the fat on, and just remove it when I pull it?