My Attempt at Kummok's Salmon

Started by Tenpoint5, August 09, 2009, 09:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I normally do the floating of an egg in salt water then add Brown Sugar and Wine then soak the fillets over night (12hrs). This time I followed Kummok's recipe pretty close, No crushed pepper-Had to use Garlic Hot Sauce, Added a bottle of Blackberry Merlot to the brine, 3x3 chunks instead of 3/8-1/2 inch. These are Wild caught Lake Michigan Salmon, close as I could get Kummok!!!   I will be posting more as this progresses.

Here is what I have after the 12 hour soak. Siting on the island with a fan on them to get a pellicle on them before it heats up around here today.

I wish my camera would stay focused when trying to get a close up. (See it has nothing to do with how many Adult Beverages I've had. If you remember my last rib post)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Lookin' good Chris!  8)

Can't wait for the finished pictures!  :P

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

looks good, also looks like you left the skin on, is that correct? I have been taking the skin off and it works great, I think Kummok is also now doing his with the skin off, not positive about that though. make sure you get a good pellicle formed before putting into the smoker, should be great.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pensrock on August 09, 2009, 10:09:26 AM
looks good, also looks like you left the skin on, is that correct? I have been taking the skin off and it works great, I think Kummok is also now doing his with the skin off, not positive about that though. make sure you get a good pellicle formed before putting into the smoker, should be great.
Yep I left the skin on. Completely forgot to take it off. Would probably help a lot in getting the pellice. Mine has been sitting with a fan blowing on it for 3 hours now and is getting dry to the touch but not tacky yet. In hindsight I should have cut the pieces smaller as instructed. Smaller pieces = shorter drying time. Bonehead size pieces = forever drying!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Roadking

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 09, 2009, 09:14:51 AM

I wish my camera would stay focused when trying to get a close up. (See it has nothing to do with how many Adult Beverages I've had. If you remember my last rib post)

Go to the menu and take the shot using the macro setting. You should be able to take from 1"-3 or 4 feet using it.

smokeitall

Hey Chris did you get to catch those yourself?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokeitall on August 09, 2009, 07:29:49 PM
Yep caught these last fall. Just cleaning out the freezer for another trip up to Milwaukee in October.

Tenpoint5

Should have done this sooner, flipped the chunks over and dried the bottom for an hour. Of course it does say to do that in th einstructions but I failed to remember this in a timely fashion.

Since the chunks are rather large I have been using the upper edge of the time line for smoking. Here they are after 2 hours with Pecan @ 120 and 4 hours @ 140. shifted and rotated twice. Now I'm waiting for probably 2-3 hours of 170-180. Where the fats and oils pooled I see i have some buggers they look worse in the pictures then in real life. Slow ramping and a tacky surface still buggers. Thinking I should have started yesterday and let dry in the fridge overnight uncovered. Live and learn will probably still taste good. I think Kummok is the one that said it is really hard to screw up salmon in a Bradley to the point that it didn't taste good

Tenpoint5

Well I do believe that they is done. I tasted some of the smaller tail end pieces, not bad. I do prefer a sweeter flavor on my salmon but this is good will probably make a few adjustments next go round to fit my tastes. The bigger pieces where in the 170-180 for 3 hours to get them to dry out.

Here are the 3 trays of bigger pieces condensed and cooling on the counter. Will wrap in plastic wrap in the fridge until the morning then I will Vac seal them.

Caneyscud

And I will quote Clint Eastwood - "back off".  Too close for your camera's ability! or find your macro setting, as already suggested.  Adult beverages not the cause (at least as far as I know) ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kummok

.....These are Wild caught Lake Michigan Salmon, close as I could get Kummok!!! ....

No harm - No foul, 10.5 .... "Wild Caught" is what it's all about!! Looks like a great batch of salmon to me!!

smokeitall

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 09, 2009, 09:02:49 PM
Quote from: smokeitall on August 09, 2009, 07:29:49 PM
Yep caught these last fall. Just cleaning out the freezer for another trip up to Milwaukee in October.

Where do you go out in Milwaukee?  I think I'm going to be up there Oct. 9-11, not sure yet.  I have a buddy with a boat in Kenosha that I usually go out with, free sure beats those charter costs, but those charters sure know where the fish are.  I haven't fished up in my home state now for over 2 years, since they raised the cost of a the out of state fishing license  :(
SIA

Tenpoint5

Scott,
Believe it or not but we never leave Mckinley marina in middle to late Oct. We might go on a booze cruise and troll around inside the break wall usually snatch up a brown or a lake trolling around. I usually get the 2 day lake pass its only $20

OU812

That salmon looks real good 10.5

My son and my self are the only ones that like fish in my house and now that he moved out that batch you made would last me a wile.

Makes me want some right now, might have to go dig some out of the freezer