My Attempt at Kummok's Salmon

Started by Tenpoint5, August 09, 2009, 09:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancindon

Hey Guys, what gives? Outside temp is 55 in Fairbanks and I can't get my BS to go over 120, even with a sleeping bag wrapped around it.

I just murdered a Caribou and am trying a batch of jerky

Any ideas welcomed, Thanks.

aces-n-eights

Hey DD, sounds to me like the only temp you are getting is from the smoke generator.  Be sure the cords are fully plugged into the tower - plug and unplug them several times to be sure they are firmly seated.

Congrats on the 'bou!

Just a suggestion, but you'll get faster responses if you post a new thread.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Kummok

I'll second A&8s "repost" suggestion DancinDon.....also, sounds like your element is either faulty or you're not getting all the power to it that it wants. Do what As&8s suggests and also make certain that you're not running your power though a long extension cord....those things love raw, full power. If none of that works, send the Bou meat down to me in Homer and I'll see that it gets put to good use!! ;) ;) ;D

Dancindon

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll follow up on them before the next batch. I finished off drying the jerky overnight above the woodstove and it turned out fine. Sorry for the late reply, I was off down the Yukon chasing sheefish, but they've managed to elude me so far.

Caneyscud

Quote from: Dancindon on August 23, 2009, 10:18:05 PM
, I was off down the Yukon chasing sheefish,

How cool is that - the Artic Tarpon?  I can't imaging how much fun those things must be to catch!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kummok

Quote from: Dancindon on August 23, 2009, 10:18:05 PM
......I was off down the Yukon chasing sheefish, but they've managed to elude me so far.

Sounds like someone heading for the Koyukuk River hunting grounds!! ;)

sonny red

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 09, 2009, 11:20:43 PM
Well I do believe that they is done. I tasted some of the smaller tail end pieces, not bad. I do prefer a sweeter flavor on my salmon but this is good will probably make a few adjustments next go round to fit my tastes. The bigger pieces where in the 170-180 for 3 hours to get them to dry out.

Here are the 3 trays of bigger pieces condensed and cooling on the counter. Will wrap in plastic wrap in the fridge until the morning then I will Vac seal them.

Tenpoint...to sweeten up my salmon (also Lake Michigan caught) I like to rub a little dark brown sugar on each piece for the last 30-45 minutes. It gives it a nice brown glaze and sweetens it up a bit. Not too much as it does melt and can run off and cause a mess if you use too much. I also smoke using Alder/Maple/Apple and it gives me good results. Good luck!

Dancindon

Finally found the source of my low temps-a burned out heating element. As previously suggested, my 120 max temp was coming from the smoke generator.

Bradley customer service was great at walking me through the diagnostics, the tech sez he has seen some elements fail right out of the box and others last for several years. He recommended also ordering a new slider rheostat (~14) in addition to the element (~9), says the slider is prone to fail and the replacement model is an improvement over the original. I'm looking forward to getting this guy up and running again and working on some sockeyes and a new batch of Caribou jerky, maybe some moose too if I get lucky this week. I was pleased to learn that replacement parts are so reasonably priced.