Seasoning question. If I follow the manual, I start everything at the same time

Started by 1wired1, August 12, 2009, 06:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wired1

and it won't be smoking at 150 for one hour because of the time it takes to heat up. Should I let it heat to 150 then start the smoke and let it run for one hour? Or does it not matter?

Thanks
1w1

Update: It took about 14 minutes to heat up to 150.

NePaSmoKer

Put the racks, v tray water bowl in and turn that baby up with smoke for about 3 hours. Temp it to 225 250*

nepas

FLBentRider

That temperature after that times sounds like only the Smoke generator is doing the heating.

It sounds like you may not have the power cord to the tower plugged in good.

Is the heating element glowing red ?

You may need to unplug/plug in the tower connection several times (firmly) to get a good connection.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

1wired1

So I shouldn't be following the manual? An issue would be that I have bubba pucks in behind the bisquettes. How would I go about adding more bisquettes for 2-3 hour smoke?

mikecorn.1

If your going to season the smoker for 3 hours, you might as well throw something in there after the first hour and kill two birds with one stone.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Mike

1wired1

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 12, 2009, 06:46:07 AM
That temperature after that times sounds like only the Smoke generator is doing the heating.

You may need to unplug/plug in the tower connection several times (firmly) to get a good connection.

I have it set to 150 per the manuals instructions. It's up to 187 now.

KyNola

1w1,
If you're just seasoning, open the door just a bit and see if you see the heating element glowing red.  I agree with FLBR that if it took 14 minutes to get to 150, the connections may not be making good contact.  If it's glowing red, you're in good shape.

KyNola

KyNola

That's what we wanted to hear!!  Don't worry about the temp rising above 150 for seasoning.  That's perfectly OK.  One thing to remember, the BDS temp readout is not all that accurate.  You will see wide temp swings.

Enjoy yourself!
KyNola

FLBentRider

Quote from: 1wired1 on August 12, 2009, 06:52:26 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on August 12, 2009, 06:46:07 AM

I have it set to 150 per the manuals instructions. It's up to 187 now.

Duh! I forgot the seasoning was @ 150F...

sorry about that.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

1wired1

Even with two bubba pucks behind the three bisquettes only two burned and the third barely got started. Any advice?

mikecorn.1

Probably wrong but to me it sounds like you didnt put enought time for the smoker timer or you didnt advance the first puck all the way to the end of the ramp (burner plate). Sure someone else will come behind me and correct me if this isnt the problem.  ;D
Mike