New Okie

Started by .:beestitcher:., August 13, 2009, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.:beestitcher:.

Hello all.  I just received the 4 rack digital and it is currently being seasoned as I type this.  I have been smoking for 15 years at least. I started on a bullet, then an offset, then the green egg, a propane GOSM, and now to the bradley.  I guess being somewhat of a purest the only reservation I have is the amount of smoke flavor I am going to be able to impart into the meat.  A few posts on here claim that you won't get the "strong" penetration that I would prefer for Okie/Texas style briskets.  But nevertheless, I shall tinker.   My first smoke is Saturday and I'll start with smoking some boldog hungarian peppers for smoked paprika before I get the inside mucked up - this funks up chipotles and other peppers pretty bad.  Then I 'll move them to the dehydrator to finish off. Then on goes two briskets, two fatties, and anything else that is slow enough for me to catch.

I am sure I'll be asking loads of questions!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum .:beestitcher:.!

It sounds like you have the smoking thing figured out.

If you click on the ribs at the bottom of this post, it will take you to our recipe site. Lots of good info there.

Lots of good people here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Thanks alot!  That's a great recipe site.....lots of good info on it to peruse. 

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

mikeradio

Welcome  Beestitcher

Cheers

Mike

OU812

Sounds like you have all the toys to have one heck of a party

Welcome to the fun Beestitcher

pensrock

welcome and enjoy
pens

mikecorn.1

Welcome Beestitcher. What are you smoking first. Let see them pics.
Mike

mikecorn.1 ,

First of all, thanks to board for the warm invitation.  I would expect nothing less from a collective of smoking aficionados!

As for the first smoke, I stated that I will be doing chiles.  You almost have to have a dedicated smoker for them as they will take on the "wrong" flavors from a meat smoker.  So obviously I want to get them in there before any meat. My hungarians are bright red and ready to be smoked, and I have a few Jalapenos red and ready, so paprika and chipotles are the first thing in the box overnight.  In tandem I'll be turning my Big Jim Chiles (Hatch) in my miniature propane roaster for freezing sometime tomorrow.   And I'll be making chile sauce from cayenne, wiri wiri, and tabasco peppers on the outdoor kitchen station. (If you have ever made your own sauce you know why it needs to be done outdoors...lol).  I am a pepper gardening fool!

For the meat smoke my wife has talked me into Pork Ribs and Chicken so they'll go on around 11am - low and slow.  I am never one to waste smoke or energy, I always add a couple of fatties (breakfast sausage rolls) and a metal collander with peeled russet potatoes a half onion and a half bell pepper to the top rack and get them about 4 hours of smoke.  This will become breakfast on Sunday morning.  I usually refrigerate the sausage and potatoes and then steam them for 20 minutes and then fry everything in a large skillet to bring the mixture together.  As a warning, the potatoes will take on nasty color from the smoke, but the end result is righteous!

I am looking forward using the Bradley. It's a tight little box. I am an engineer by trade so It's just a matter of time before the thing gets heavily modified.

I'll post pictures from vine to finished products tomorrow!

mikecorn.1

Looking forward to them pics.  8)
Mike

I just couldn't wait. I took off work early since it was slow - I even turned down a golf tourny to get some smoke on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shank_bryan/sets/72157621915491677/

I like high rez photos so I'll post to Flickr - I am sure the mods will appreciate it!

I'll post some more after 4 hours of smoke!

mikecorn.1

Alright then  :D. Thanks for the pic. Looking forward to the finished product pics.
Mike

FLBentRider

Quote from: .:beestitcher:. on August 14, 2009, 02:05:08 PM
I just couldn't wait. I took off work early since it was slow - I even turned down a golf tourny to get some smoke on.

Now you're getting into this..

He guys... I think he's hooked...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hell, I have been hooked for years.  When I first started seriously smoking on an offset, it was common to set my alarm for 2am and put a butt or shoulder in the middle of December. And we all know what a pain those things can be to keep the temp right - especially in cold weather.

I really like this little bradley so far. I just pulled my peppers off and put them into the dehydrator - should have something to grind in the A.M.

Got my chickens in the brine bucket, ABTs are made up and in the fridge, going to be a good day tomorrow.

I do have a question though - how does the Bradley operate in cold temps - any known problems besides the obvious temp bleed?  And, whats the trick for using the bradley in wet weather?  There is no way someone is going to stop a smoke session because of a passing shower .

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum beestitcher. The Bradley should work well in cold weather, just keep it out of the wind. For wet weather, keep it under cover. A porch or in the garage with the door open will work. Just make sure it stays dry.
Those peppers look great by the way.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Smokin Soon

Beestitcher, I think that most of us that have experienced other styles of smokers have appreciated the the ease of use of the Bradley and the ability to control the amount of smoke applied to any cook. The choice of woods, and the ability to mix them, and easily adjust the time of smoke. Just dial it in for your tastes and yer gonna love it!