Turkey Breast and Pork Butt Smoke?

Started by Andy, February 17, 2005, 07:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

I am going to smoke a turkey breast..7.5 pounds and a pork butt....7 pounds this weekend....i also will toss in a pound of bacon.

Should I put the turkey right under the bacon at the top..I figure it has more of a chance to dry out then the pork butt...And bacon fat makes everything taste better

I am guessing the turkey will be done sooner...any ideas?

Thanks

Cold Smoke

Hey Andy- that sounds about right. I haven't done a larger multi-meat smoke in a while. I would think that smoking 15 lbs will take a while- the butt taking the longest if you're pulling- say about 12 hrs minimum and depending on temp and the breast in my loose estimation might be half of that time. It's probably best to have bacon on top, then the bird, and the butt down below. I'm thinking that any juices dripping from the turkey breast onto the butt will not create any bacterial concerns as the butt will be in the longest and be cooked to a much higher temp. The bacon at the top (assuming it's the already cured, smoked and sliced variety) being at the top will be ready for sampling when the breast is done. [:p]

What kind of wood will you be using?- just wondering...

Good luck- sounds like quite the feast. I'm thinking delicious clubhouse sandwiches for lunch[:p][:D][:p]

Cold Smoke

Andy

I am using Pecan. I went thru every type of wood that Chez had...and my wife and I both agreed on chicken and pork...the pecan is the best.

I am going to brine it over night...about 12 hours...then start smoking at 5am...smoking the Turkey til about 160

My guess is the Turkey will be done about noon...I live at 9500 vertical feet and it will be in the mid 20's....so it will take a bit longer...so tommorrow...a double rack of bacon!!![:p][:p]Thick sliced as well[:p][:p]

Then I guess another 5 to 6 hours on the butt...I pulled the last one out at 175...and it just fell apart...[:D][:D]

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy</i>
<br />
Then I guess another 5 to 6 hours on the butt...I pulled the last one out at 175...and it just fell apart...[:D][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Really?  The consensus here seems to be you need to get the meat to 190 or above to get to the "falling apart" stage.
I've only done one butt so far, and took it to around 190 then FTC.  But I'm curious as to if it's falling apart at 175, why are we going to 190?

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I pulled the last one out at 175...and it just fell apart...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Im' a 185 man myself, then FTC it for 2 hrs.  Really at 175, thats just after the rendering stage, I thought it would be more slicable at that stage.

Also, I have not done that many turkeys, but if the BS doesn't come up to heat real fast, don't worry about it, especially after brining the bird you will have alot of moisture that will come out and the temp will take a while to come up.  But don't worry, the bird is still cooking.  One last thing, plan the positions of the meat, that crazy door thermometer seems to get in the way and when you are strungling to get the meat in you find out that thing is in the way, it can be a pain.  Plan ahead, it will make things easier.  

Also preheat the puppy for a while, WhiteTailFan just put up a great idea, if you have some ceramic brickettes, put them in the bottom~~this will help to maintain the heat.  I think this will help with your temp and altitude.

Have fun and let us know.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Andy

I think altitude has a lot to do with it....at 9500 ft...you do not need 212 to boil water...

Plus...if you are new up here...forget about baking...which I do not do anyway...but they have totally different mixes for high altitude.

I found my first few smokes...the meet would just sit and dry out at 175...so I pulled it after sitting for 1 hour at 175...and it was perfect...

My guess is my 175 is about the same as someone elses 185.

but hey...when you are drinking a 6 pack of beer...starring at 12k and 13k snow covered peeks...it is all relative!!

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">but hey...when you are drinking a 6 pack of beer...starring at 12k and 13k snow covered peeks...it is all relative!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">THANKS BUDDY[^]~~~Life is rough.....I'm still looking AK pics.  Thanks for the Friday Afternoon day dream.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

I might only go to 185 next time just to see.  It's good to play w/ different temps.  The last few times I've done salmon, I only take it to around 135.  I was finding it starting to dry out at 140, even being cooked at real low temps.

humpa

Andy.....Keep notes on cook times ect. Dial them in and record them. They will always be usefull later. I still have my book and use it a lot.

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

gotbbq

If you get the butt up to 185 and hold, the carry over will bring it close to 200 degrees.  You can tell by grabbing the bone in the butt and give it a twist.  If it moves or comes out easily, shes done.

gotbbq