Experience with new Bradley cold smoke adapter...

Started by pnw-smoker, May 26, 2009, 04:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnw-smoker

Hi All...

In my never-ending quest for perfect smoked salmon, I purchased one of the new Bradley cold-smoke adapters.  Even though I'm not doing a true cold-smoke, using this adapter with a PID controller allows me to slowly ramp the temperature in order to get a really nice finish on the salmon without all those white fat boogers (especially with really oily wild salmon).  So that's the theory anyway, but so far I'm not as successful as I'd like to be.  Some of the recipes finish the salmon at 165 or even higher... and that comes out more like baked salmon than smoked.  Does anyone have advice on time/temperature ramp for really top-notch smoked salmon?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

- pnw-smoker

Tenpoint5

PNW you need to head on over to this thread and it should help answer all your questions and give you the best Smoked Salmon you dun ever had!!
Kummok's Salmon.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pnw-smoker

Dear Kummok...

As much high praise as your salmon recipe has received, I find that it doesn't work that well for our salmon here in the Pacific Northwest.  The finishing temp of 175 produces a baked salmon texture... not the firm but moist smoked salmon texture that I'm looking for.  I'm using a low and slow temp ramp... 1 hour@85, 1@95, 1@110, 1@125, 4@140, and then finishh at 155.  Even with this slow ramp I get white fat boogers on the salmon, whereas I'm looking for that lovely red-brown varnish that is characteristic of good smoked salmon.  our wild copper-river salmon is intensely oily... but it's spectacular if you get it right.

I can get a good result in my little chief smoker... now just want to transfer that to the superior abilities of the OBS.  I'm hoping that others who have tried the new cold smoke adapter can offer some help as to the best way to get there.

Thanks very much for your response.

- pnw-smoker

Habanero Smoker

Hi pnw-smoker;

Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes it is a matter of adjusting times at certain temperatures. The technique that you posted; is that the same method you used with your little chief?

What is the final temperature of your fish, or do you just go by looks, and feel?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pnw-smoker

Hi Hab...

Thanks for your reply.  The little chief smokes cooler and slower than the OBS... doesn't have the heat capacity.  But the heat is also NOTcontrollable in the LC... which is why I'm using the PID controller (Auber) with the OBS.  I know from past experience that the white fat deposits on the surface result from getting hot too quickly, but I'm still getting some even if I use what I think is a fairly slow ramp up.  I find the fish is "done" at about 140 internal temp.

I'm liking the new cold-smoke adapter, but keep thinking that I'm just not "dialed-in" yet on the correct times and temps.  Thanks for taking the time to help!

-pnw-smoker

chinooker

I just ordered a Bradley OS and look forward to using it on our Rogue river Chinook and Coho. I have a lot of experience with the Big Chief. I battled the white boogers (great term) for years going so far as to wash them off (not wise). I finally beat them when I realised that the white stuff is coagulated foamy fat and water.

I now air dry my salmon fillets until the pellicle forms. The pellicle just means that the surface of the flesh is not sticky or damp feeling when you touch it with your finger, it feels slick and looks shiny. I soak my salmon in brine and rinse well, then place on tiered racks on the sink and have a fan blowing on them until the pellicle forms. Everytime I rush this step I get the boogers.

I can see the logic in trying to start off at low temps and ramping up. My airdrying is just a very low first ramp designed to get rid of excess water before the fat has a chance to foam up and coagulate.
I really want my Bradley, it looks to be very convenient.
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

alancrab

Hi Guys, im new to the forum, here in Australia we have atlantic salmon, but it should work with any. first I make a dry rub
60% salt
40%sugar
1 tea spoon white pepper
2 sprigs of fresh dill
rub in evenly on the flesh side of the fillet, place two fillets facing aech other and wrap tightly in cling wrap
refridgerate for 24 hours.
rinse in cold water and stand for 2 hours in cool place
you can now eat your cured salmon, however if you now cold smoke with no heat at all for two hours it shoud taste fantastic.

sorry use 10% of fillet weight for the cure

Happy smoking Alancrab

Kummok

Dang...and I always thought Alaska was considered PNW...now I'll have to call you a "Southerner", PNW-Smoker.  ;) ;)

I've done many a Copper River Red in the OBS myself (and actually find it a bit less oily than a big fat feeder King...my personal favorite!) and have to agree with you that the temp ramp in the original recipe makes for a bit drier texture. I'm down to about 3.5-4 hours, smaller pieces and have learned over the years that the pellicle forming stage is where you have the most control of texture and boogers. The time spent at higher temps is down to about the last 15-20 minutes...but again, that's doing my smaller pieces. With smoking, size really DOES matter when calculating your temp ramp...doing a whole slab, I go low and slow to avoid boogers and dryness.

Note to Chinooker....No offense to Bradley but I've gotta say that some of the best smoked salmon that I've ever had has come out of a Big or Little Chief smoker...those things are the Winchesters of smokers in the right hands! ;)

pnw-smoker

Kummok... Alaska?  PNW?  No doubt about it, you guys up there in Alaska are the kings of doing salmon right! 

Sounds like you've optimized your recipe for smaller chunks of salmon, Kummok.  Would you be willing to describe what your current time/temp profile looks like for smoking smaller chunks (like the copper river chinooks we get down here) in the Bradley?  Have you tried the new cold smoke adapter yet?

I agree with you about the big chief/little chief by the way... I'm still working with my bradley to get the kind of flavor and texture I was getting from my little chief.

- pnw-smoker

Kummok

Small chunk ramp kinda looks like 120-ish for first 1.5 hour, then 140-ish for another 1.5 hour, then bring up to 160-ish for last .5 hour, checking for "right" texture after about 20 minutes, allowing another 10 mins if needed. Here's a pic to give you an idea of "small chunk" size.... (NO, I don't recognize the dork in the picture!  ;) )

pnw-smoker

That's a spectacular batch of fish, Kummok... though I note that's not a Bradley rack they're drying on! :)  Looks like a big chief?  How long are you drying to get that kind of pellicle?  I'm totally impressed that you're getting top-quality results in 5-6 hours... that's great!  Thanks for the info on your temp ramp.

- pnw-smoker.