Updraft?

Started by JF7FSU, August 14, 2009, 01:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

I did the standard cardboard box cold smoke setup elevating the Bradley cabinet about four feet higher than the smoke generator and the box.   

Question: Do I need some ventilation holes in the cardboard box to help the updraft to get more smoke into the cabinet?  I'm afraid the smoke is sitting in the box. Thanks!

Jeff
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

pensrock

air should flow through the smoke generator, as long as the top vent in the tower is open.

mikecorn.1

Correct. it should flow as long as the vent is open in the smoker tower.  ;)  Post a pic of your project if you can so we can have something to look at.  ;D
Mike

manxman

The cardboard box should'nt need ventilation holes. As others have already pointed out the vent on the cabinet needs to be open at least 2/3rds or so.

See below for pic on how the cardbox coldsmoke set up is arranged just to compare to how you have set yours up Jeff , someone pm'ed me a good while ago with problems with smoke flow into the cabinet and they had vented the cardboard box out of the side rather than the top?  :)

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

Just a thought?
Manxman

JF7FSU

I guess this is a more curiousity question than anything.  This is my setup.  I cold smoked some steaks last night before grilling and I barely tasted any smoke so I was wondering if I needed ventilation holes.  I guess the answer is a resounding "no".  :)

mikecorn.1

Thanks for the pics. Lke anything else, reading is better with visual aids  ;D. I am wanting to do the same setup with the carboard box and exhaust vent hose to dryer to do some cheese but its just too dam hot down here in south texas to do so right now. Was wondering, what did you use to connect the hose to the tower, looks like a nice fit. Would you mind taking a close up of it and posting it or sending it to me via a message. thanks.
Mike

OU812

As far as clod smoking steaks you will need to do the cold smoke then wrap in plastic and let sit in the fridge over night and cook the next day this allows the smoke to penetrate the meat

Up In Smoke

The others have you pointed in a good direction.
but i am curious how long you cold smoked the steaks before grilling
and what type of wood pucks did you use?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

JF7FSU

I used two apple pucks on 3 small sirloins and 2 boneless breasts. bout 40 minutes and then straight to the grill.   So, I should smoke them a day in advance?  i tasted some smoke in the chicken but almost nothing in the steak. They were about 1" sirloins from costco that they sell in the family packs.

I picked up the connector I used for the Bradley cabinet from Home Depot, but not in the duct section, the A/C section near the filters.  Its in use now but I will post a picture in the thread later when I dismantle it.  I also used a good connector for my box, will take a pic of that as well once the salmon is done. 

mikecorn.1

Mike

Smokin Soon

Your setup looks fine to me. 0U812 has you going in the right direction about wrapping in plastic overnight, it makes a big difference. Also if desiring a stronger smoke taste, try Mesquite, Hickory or Oak on a steak.
I only use Apple on Poultry or Fish.

manxman

That set up looks good JF7FSU, as others have said smoking a day in advance and wrapping would help. I also think you could smoke a while longer than 40 mins to impart a stronger smoke flavour on steak.  :)
Manxman

Up In Smoke

Manx has you covered,
longer
smoke time and a little stronger wood will do the trick.
I use hickory for 1 1/2 hours then wrap. 
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

JF7FSU

Thanks for the tips guys, I will try a longer cold smoke and wrap overnight with a stronger wood.

@ Mikecorn.1 Here are the connectors I used.  I got everything at Home Depot.  I used 4" stuff.  They have the stuff in two different sections.  One is ducting near the bathroom exhaust fans (cardboard connector) and the Bradley connector was in the A/C section.  Its all holding from friction, I didnt need to use collars.