First Pulled Pork in th OBS with PICS

Started by joerom, August 16, 2009, 06:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muzzletim

Looks Fantastick!!!! Cheapest I have found in New Mexico is$1.42.
Tim

drano

Wow, that looks great!
I've learned (from posts on this great site) that pulled pork gets pullable when the internal temp gets to a min of 185.  So I use a smoker temp of 230 (w/ my Auber PID) to a meat temp of 190.  Just use a couple forks to pull it apart. 
I don't foil wrap back into the smoker.  But I will FTC if it gets done early.

get smokin
drano

joerom

I used 210 degrees which is probably why it took so long.I was doing an overnite smoke and did not know what to expect,but the end results were fantastic.I did not mop or cover while cooking,But the time worked out great for me to eat it.I am going to do babyback ribs on sunday.I had them in the freezer.This smoker makes it so easy.

Joe.

mikecorn.1

Shhhhhh. dont tell anybody is easy. Let them all think that you slaved over the smoker for that fantastic meal they are having.  ;D

Mike

pkcdirect

Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

joerom

Mike,
I keep thinking back to all the time I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a smoker,and never got one because I always thought it would be a major hassle watching the thing all day to make sure the wood is right,or the temp is right,or whatever.I will bet it was a couple of years before I really looked into what was out there,because I always heard it was a hassle.Then I got the Bradley,and found out how easy it was.What I like is that I don't have to heat up the oven in the house,and heat up the kitchen.I can't believe how dumb I was for not looking into it sooner.I guess now comes the part about kicking yourself.
                                                                               Joe.  :-[

Hopefull Romantic

Simply awesome looking meal there Joe. AWESOME.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caneyscud

Quote from: joerom on August 21, 2009, 08:26:41 PM
........,and never got one because I always thought it would be a major hassle watching the thing all day to make sure the wood is right,or the temp is right,or whatever.I will bet it was a couple of years before I really looked into what was out there,because I always heard it was a hassle.Then I got the Bradley,and found out how easy it was..........

Whoops

Loose Lips Sink Ships

Time for the protection of the Bradley Pledge before this gets too far!

Raise you right hand, step on your left toe, close both eyes and read after me

We pledge, under the penalty of having our Bradley melt into nothingness, never to tell our OR especially anyone else's adoring and admiring family and friends, the SECRET (the ease) of Bradley Smoking.  We further Pledge to use our Bradleys as often as possible so as to never let our family and friends be without smoked delicacies.  There are just some things that should not be smoked and until we find out what they are, we Pledge to smoke everything we can catch, wrap in bacon, and fit into our Bradleys.

Now go about you merry day, but let that little thing in the back of your mind - that little nagging thing called a conscience take over before you utter any word about how easy this is too any rug rats or wife's of the female persuasion, or anybody else except us andbody you are trying to convert to a Bradley Smoker!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caneyscud on August 22, 2009, 07:00:43 AM
Quote from: joerom on August 21, 2009, 08:26:41 PM
........,and never got one because I always thought it would be a major hassle watching the thing all day to make sure the wood is right,or the temp is right,or whatever.I will bet it was a couple of years before I really looked into what was out there,because I always heard it was a hassle.Then I got the Bradley,and found out how easy it was..........

Whoops

Loose Lips Sink Ships

Time for the protection of the Bradley Pledge before this gets too far!

Raise you right hand, step on your left toe, close both eyes and read after me

We pledge, under the penalty of having our Bradley melt into nothingness, never to tell our OR especially anyone else's adoring and admiring family and friends, the SECRET (the ease) of Bradley Smoking.  We further Pledge to use our Bradleys as often as possible so as to never let our family and friends be without smoked delicacies.  There are just some things that should not be smoked and until we find out what they are, we Pledge to smoke everything we can catch, wrap in bacon, and fit into our Bradleys.

Now go about you merry day, but let that little thing in the back of your mind - that little nagging thing called a conscience take over before you utter any word about how easy this is too any rug rats or wife's of the female persuasion, or anybody else except us andbody you are trying to convert to a Bradley Smoker!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

AMEN
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Brings back memories of when i got swore in to the ease of the bradley.  ;D ---- Not too long ago.  ::)
Mike

joerom

I promise not to use the "Easy" word again!
                                                    Joe.

banditto1969

Looks good!  I've done 4 butts in my OBS and have varied the temp/time a little trying to get a perfect pulled pork. 

One thing I have noticed is the fruit wood pucks don't imbue enough smoke flavor (for my taste buds anyway) and hickory is a must.

Also the butts I have been using have varied a little in fat content but the fattier ones don't turn out as good.  If the fat layer is too thick in the 1"+ range the fat doesn't render very well and I end up cutting a lot of it off at the end.  I mean I do trim the pulled pork at the end either way but the fattier butts end losing a lot of the bark which is my favorite part.

So my next smoke is gonna use a trimmed butt--which I save the pork fat for sausage anyway.

Any thoughts? 

And what is the perfect temp?  My first one turned out the best and that was a shock being the temp dipped low overnight to 165F which I bumped it up in the morning to finish the last 3 hours. 

mikecorn.1

Quote from: banditto1969 on August 31, 2009, 07:18:10 AM
Looks good!  I've done 4 butts in my OBS and have varied the temp/time a little trying to get a perfect pulled pork. 

One thing I have noticed is the fruit wood pucks don't imbue enough smoke flavor (for my taste buds anyway) and hickory is a must.

Also the butts I have been using have varied a little in fat content but the fattier ones don't turn out as good.  If the fat layer is too thick in the 1"+ range the fat doesn't render very well and I end up cutting a lot of it off at the end.  I mean I do trim the pulled pork at the end either way but the fattier butts end losing a lot of the bark which is my favorite part.

So my next smoke is gonna use a trimmed butt--which I save the pork fat for sausage anyway.

Any thoughts? 

And what is the perfect temp?  My first one turned out the best and that was a shock being the temp dipped low overnight to 165F which I bumped it up in the morning to finish the last 3 hours. 

I like to take mine to 190*. Others take it slightly less than that and other take it even higher. I got perfect pulled pork at 190*. I agree with you, i made a couple of things with apple wood and its just not enought smoke flavor for me. My wife on the other hand loves just a hint of smoke. Good luck.
Mike

Habanero Smoker

I prefer buying untrimmed and trimming it myself. That way I can leave the amount of fat that I want on the meat. The trimmed shoulders at the markets usually do not have enough fat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roadking

Butt looks great. Looks just like the one I did last weekend, used Alder with mine.