First Pulled Pork in th OBS with PICS

Started by joerom, August 16, 2009, 06:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joerom

Hello,the fat on mine was mostly on the one side,which I put on top,and after 20 hours,there was about no fat left at 210 degrees,with an internal temp of 185.To me,it seemed about perfect,and I hope the next one comes out as well.I have not had a bad meal yet from the OBS.I think I am going to do more ribs this weekend.I have been freezing some stuff for the long cold months.
                                                            Joe.

outdoorsfellar

Quote from: joerom on August 16, 2009, 06:51:54 PM
Finally at 3:00 in the afternoon,I took it out and wrapped in aluminum foil and towel for 1 1/2 hours.

As a newbie who just ordered a smoker & awaiting its arrival, I'm scanning the forums here for information on just about everything. I'm curious as to the above quoted process using foil & a towel. What's the purpose for that AND what was then done once wrapped ? I mean, was the pork then placed back in the smoker or did it just sit out for that amount of time ?    Thanks  :)

classicrockgriller

Outdoors, the slang F T C stands for :
F=foil
T=towel
C=cooler

They wrap the meat in dbl foil....wrap it in a heavy towel and put it in a cooler for varies times to hold the temp or to continue cooking or prolong the time they have to serve the food hot.

FLBentRider

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on September 28, 2009, 07:15:06 PM
Quote from: joerom on August 16, 2009, 06:51:54 PM
Finally at 3:00 in the afternoon,I took it out and wrapped in aluminum foil and towel for 1 1/2 hours.

As a newbie who just ordered a smoker & awaiting its arrival, I'm scanning the forums here for information on just about everything. I'm curious as to the above quoted process using foil & a towel. What's the purpose for that AND what was then done once wrapped ? I mean, was the pork then placed back in the smoker or did it just sit out for that amount of time ?    Thanks  :)

FTC is also a staging / resting method.

Time is a variable in smoking and "low and slow" - When I do 4 pork butts, sometimes one of them will be done 3 or 4 hours before the others. FTC allows me to serve when I want.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

outdoorsfellar

Huntnfreak

For those who are doing 3 or 4 at a time are you pulling the pork and freezing it for later use or are you just serving that many people at one time?

classicrockgriller

Both...some smoke abunch to save bisquits and pkg it in #1 or#2 lbs pkg. (vaccum pac) freeze it, take it out as needed.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Huntnfreak on September 29, 2009, 08:57:58 PM
For those who are doing 3 or 4 at a time are you pulling the pork and freezing it for later use or are you just serving that many people at one time?

I usually do 4 at a time.

1 gets eaten right away, the second for leftovers, 3 and 4 are defatted, pulled - but NOT shredded - vac sealed and frozen.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Huntnfreak

Pulled not shredded?  Help!  What is the difference?

FLBentRider

I just separate the individual "muscle groups" from the fat.

If I shred it, it will dry out, especially when re-heating.

This is what it looks like when it is ready to go into the ziplock:

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Huntnfreak

Very good to know.  I would have shredded it right away.  Thanks.