Chicken Breast Perfection

Started by NePaSmoKer, August 17, 2009, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Did some skinless boneless chicken breast tonite also. Used Alder in the "T"

NEPAS

squirtthecat

Nepas, what do you think of that 'pigtail flipper' thingie?

I got a couple of them as a gift last year, but never used them...  (even though I said otherwise to the gift 'givers')   I hate 'stabbing' meat, and I'd rather use my 14" OXO tongs...

Thoughts?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 17, 2009, 06:43:02 PM

I got a couple of them as a gift last year, but never used them...  (even though I said otherwise to the gift 'givers')   I hate 'stabbing' meat, and I'd rather use my 14" OXO tongs...

Thoughts?

I love my pigtail, leaves a very small hole. 1/4 turn to the left and 1/4 turn to the right and flipped  ;D

nepas

Caribou

Nepas!
Those do look like perfection!
So there!
Carolyn

mikecorn.1

Mike

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 17, 2009, 07:00:33 PM

I love my pigtail, leaves a very small hole. 1/4 turn to the left and 1/4 turn to the right and flipped  ;D

nepas

Thanks Nepas.  Maybe I'll give mine a try.

Smokin Soon

Great looking chicken Nepa! I have not done any breasts in the Treager yet. Please tell me what your plan of attack was as far as prep and cooking temps.

OU812

Nice looking chicken breasts

Thats one of my favorite things on the grill

Caneyscud

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 17, 2009, 06:43:02 PM

Thoughts?

Squirt, as NePas said they are very handy.  The ones with the finest (least diameter) pigtail work best.  You don't always puncture the meat with one - if you get good enough, you just hook it or snag it and flip.  Back when I was doing grilling on some very large charcoal grills (four foot deep or so), to keep from singeing all the hair off my forearms, I had a 4 footer made.  Man that was the cats meow as long as the meat wasn't heavy - I was doing pork chops and chicken parts so that wasn't a problem.  I would also use it on my big smoker at times.  So much easier than leaning over the grill/smoker and using tongs.  Unfortunately it got stolen from my truck a couple of years ago and I haven't replaced it - using the shorter ones. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Hopefull Romantic

Squirt, I also agree with Nepas and Caneyscud the pigtail is great.

And Nepas your chicken looks Yummmmmmmmmmmy

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on August 18, 2009, 05:25:24 AM
Great looking chicken Nepa! I have not done any breasts in the Treager yet. Please tell me what your plan of attack was as far as prep and cooking temps.

The rub i used is SZEGED chicken rub, 1/4 cup rub, 2 T lemon juice, 4 T canola oil. Mix well and coat chicken in bowl 2 to 6 hrs. I used Adler and temp at 375*

nepas

ExpatCanadian

I've been looking at those "pigtails" for a while and think one will be going on my Christmas list  ;D.  When I was back home recently, I saw a really nice set of hand-made wrought iron skewers and the "pigtail" made by the "Kootenay Forge" in British Columbia..... http://www.kootenayforge.com/lgkitchen1.htm  A bit pricey, but very nice!

...sorry to continue the off-topic part of this thread....! :P

squirtthecat

Well, you guys are giving me a good reason to try my pigtails out..   They are definitely small diameter, almost deadly looking.

pensrock

Rick, I'm suprised you used BONELESS breast sections, lol just funnin ya. (a little inside joke)  ;D
Those look great.
pens

deb415611

Quote from: pensrock on August 18, 2009, 03:30:57 PM
Rick, I'm suprised you used BONELESS breast sections, lol just funnin ya. (a little inside joke)  ;D
Those look great.
pens

I get that joke :D