Raring to go

Started by bekhardt, August 18, 2009, 08:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bekhardt

Hey all.  My name is Bill and I'm from Des Moines, Iowa. 

I ordered my OBS last Saturday and it came this morning. I seasoned it this afternoon and got some Brisket and Ribs rubbed (following your tutorials) and in the fridge this evening.  I've been reading your forum non-stop since I place my order.  You guys have put out a ton of information and I appreciate it. 

aces-n-eights

Welcome, Bill.   Good bunch of guys and gals here - don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.  Sounds like you're off to a great start!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Mr Walleye

Hi Bekhardt and welcome to the forum.

Wow! That was fast shipping!  :o

Sounds like your hittin' the ground running!  ;)

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

JF7FSU

One of the best tips I have gotten from here is to use Mustard as a coating after the rub.  It makes an incredible bark and tastes groovy after smoking.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Bill!
Carolyn

mikeradio

Welcome  Bill

Cheers

Mike

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum bekhardt!

You can get to our recipe site by clicking on the ribs at the bottom of this post.

Lots of good info there. Good people here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum Bill. Remember to post pics. ;D

Check out the links at the bottom of my post. They really helped me out.
Mike

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Bill. Not to far away, I'm over by Dubuque about a half hour south on 151. As it's been said lots of great info and people here just ask if you get stuck somebody will be along to help out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Welcome to the fun Bill.  Ditto to all the great info and people on this site.  Get smoking, get excited, post pictures.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Welcome to the fun

Brisket for your first smoke will have the whole family raving about what this baby can do.

When you boat the brisket save the juice it makes GREAT gravy or stock

If you have any questions ask away, someone will be along to help

Watch out this smoking thing is addictive

bekhardt

The meat is in the smoker and I'm having fun.  So far I'm trying to learn temperature control.  I know some of you have PID's, but for the standard OBS do you expect to keep the burner on high all the time and make adjustments with the vent?  I have four racks of meat, so I have a lot of mass cooling it off.  Still, I have it running as hot as it will go and I haven't broken 205.  I left the meat out for an hour this morning before I put it in, but I still think I would have liked it to be warmer before I put it in.

What effects beyond temperature does the vent do?  If you keep it closed more does it make it more humid? 

FLBentRider

You do NOT want to close the vent.

It will cause smoke to back up into your smoker generator, and eventually ruin it.

It can also cause smoke to condense in your smoker and cause black stuff to drip on your food. not a good thing.

With that much meat, you will run in high for quite a while.

Closing the vent does make it more humid, which will also keep the temp down. You want that moisture to escape.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Man FLB you beat me to it again  ;D

NEVER CLOSE YOUR VENT ALL THE WAY

The most i close the vent no matter what time of the year it is or the outside temp is half way and yes you can smoke in the winter just keep it out of the wind. There seems to be more moisture build up in the winter so i open the vent even more in the colder weather

You'll get the hang of it.

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!