Raring to go

Started by bekhardt, August 18, 2009, 08:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bekhardt

Thanks much, guys.  Here are the pics of the first attempt: 

The Brisket, out of the smoker and about to get some AJ and hit the oven:

And one of the racks of ribs:

Family is getting ready to eat dinner.  I tried an end of the ribs.  I am in awe. 

OU812

Now thats what I'm talking about, Ribs for dinner and brisket for lunch tomarrow

That looke great

Ok I'm hungry now

squirtthecat

Awesome!  Well played, sir........

weekend smoker

welcome Bill im from Cedar Rapids Ia

KyNola

I am liking the way those ribs look!  Meat slipped up the bone......perfection.

Really nice job, Congratulations.

What's next?

KyNola

bekhardt

Thanks for the welcome guys.  Good to see a couple Iowans here.  This is fun!   ;D

I love to cook as a rule.  This smoking, though, is a whole new adventure.  Long and slow with a big pay off.  My father-in-law came over to babysit tonight after dinner and I kept a plate of ribs ready for him.  He was blown away and asking what I'm going to make next. 

I've got a loin in the refrigerator.  I'm waiting for some supplies to come in the mail to start curing it for Canadian Bacon.  In the mean time, I'm interested in learning how to make pulled pork.  My wife wants some chicken, so I'll start looking into brining a chicken and smoking that, too. 

I called and told my sister about it and she was asking what I'll smoke for her when her family comes out at Christmas. 

Thanks again for all the information.  I'll be reading more about what to make next.  ;)

seemore

welcome bekhardt. been camping from bettendorf IA your food looks great..........
seemore

Habanero Smoker

Hi bekhardt;

Welcome to the forum.

If the probe that is laying on top of the ribs is being used to monitor the cabinet temperature, then I can see why you are getting such low readings. As the meat cooks water evaporates, and this evaporation will cool the area around the meat, and lower the temperature. At the beginning of the cook, it can be as much as 40°F lower then the actual cabinet temperature. As the meat come close to the desired internal temperature, the differences in temperature will be smaller.

I usually place my probe under the last rack closer to the heat source.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Now them is some Gooooood Looking Ribs there!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bekhardt

Habanero,  Thanks for the placement tips.  I will try that.  My low readings, though,  were coming up on the door thermometer, too. To compensate I let it smoke longer and it all came out well.   I had the probe lower for most of the cooking.  I left it up higher after the last time moving shelves around. 

OU812

How did your brisket turn out?

Nicely moist and tender im sure

bekhardt

Brisket was wonderful.  Very moist and tender.  I'm very impressed by the combined knowledge of this group.

smokeitall

Welcome aboard Bill.  Very nice looking ribs and brisket. 

I was at Cabelas today and there was a guy there that lives here in the summer and Texas in the winter buying a smoker just for makeing brisket.  He was looking at the one for sale this weekend (non bradley - 4 hour sale, for $169, looks like junk to me).  I told him about the Bradley, he sounded pretty impressed on what it could do, who knows we may have another sale due to a forum member  ;D
SIA

Jimmy

Welcome bekhardt,

Wow those are some awsome looking ribs!!!  I'm working out of town this week in SAC and I gave up looking for a good BBQ joint..

Can't wait to get back to my own back porch and smoke up some ribs!!!

Jimmy

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bekhardt on August 20, 2009, 06:12:38 AM
Habanero,  Thanks for the placement tips.  I will try that.  My low readings, though,  were coming up on the door thermometer, too. To compensate I let it smoke longer and it all came out well.   I had the probe lower for most of the cooking.  I left it up higher after the last time moving shelves around.  

Generally you will get lower readings from the door thermometer; not because it is inaccurate but because of it's location. By the looks of your photo, when the door is closed both probes are in very close proximity.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)