Raring to go

Started by bekhardt, August 18, 2009, 08:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Welcome bekhardt!

Looks like you are off & running.  The brisket & ribs look great.

Deb

bekhardt

QuoteGenerally you will get lower readings from the door thermometer; not because it is inaccurate but because of it's location. By the looks of your photo, when the door is closed both probes are in very close proximity.

Habanero, I understand the back is hotter because it is right above the element.  I've wanted to stay away from that to get a more accurate read of what the ambient temperature is.  Where do folks here put the probe?  Do you try to keep it more in the middle?  I think you said you put it under your bottom shelf.  Do you do it in the middle of the rack?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: bekhardt on August 25, 2009, 07:43:06 AM
QuoteGenerally you will get lower readings from the door thermometer; not because it is inaccurate but because of it's location. By the looks of your photo, when the door is closed both probes are in very close proximity.

Habanero, I understand the back is hotter because it is right above the element.  I've wanted to stay away from that to get a more accurate read of what the ambient temperature is.  Where do folks here put the probe?  Do you try to keep it more in the middle?  I think you said you put it under your bottom shelf.  Do you do it in the middle of the rack?

Hi bekhardt, I think most people will put the probe off to the side under the rack. You don't want it where juices will hit it and affect the readings. Here's a picture of how I use mine. Hope it helps.

HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

Hey Hawkeye,
Noticed your picture.  If that is a Maverick ET-73 temp monitor you are using, the probe you have hanging underneath the rack appears to be the meat probe rather than the box temp probe.  I'm sure they both would work but just didn't want to confuse the newer members.

KyNola

HawkeyeSmokes

Good eye there KyNola, It's my old Polder that's on it's last legs. Will be updating to the Maverick soon! Glad that you did point that out for people

Good luck on that haircut. It's tomorrow if I remember right. That's a wonderful thing your doing.
HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

Thank you Hawkeye!

KyNola

rdevous

Welcome Bekhardt,

Well you made me hungry!!!  Meat looks good.  What rub did you use on them?  I was amazed how much color your door and cabinet has after seasoning and one use.....Door looks good enough to eat!!!   ;D ;D ::) :P

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Habanero Smoker

I hang mine on the bottom rack, about 1.5" below the meat, and in the middle of the rack.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muzzletim

Welcome!

You can always get some great advice from the forum or the seasoned posters, look forward to some pictures of your sucess!
Tim

bekhardt

Thanks, Hawkeye, That's helpful. 

Sorry, I can't recall the rubs I used, but I believe I just used the ones recommended from the tutorials by 10.5 and westTexasSmoker. 

-Bill

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on August 25, 2009, 07:52:14 AM
Quote from: bekhardt on August 25, 2009, 07:43:06 AM

Hi bekhardt, I think most people will put the probe off to the side under the rack. You don't want it where juices will hit it and affect the readings. Here's a picture of how I use mine. Hope it helps.