Cilantro Potato Salad

Started by classicrockgriller, August 18, 2009, 10:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Cilantro Potato Salad
                final version....maybe

I have been making this for years and over time got it to what I think is awesome eats. The following recipe is based on a per pound of potatoes. Better make more than a pound, you will be sorry if you don't.

Ingredients
1lb of new red potato
1/4 lb of crisp fried crumbled or chopped bacon
3 heaping tablespoons of Kraft mayo
1 rounded teaspoon of minced garlic
1/2 ts of black pepper
1/4 cup of finely diced sweet yellow onion
1/2 of a fresh lemon juiced or lime
1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro

How I do it
I cubed my potatoes as to not get too big of cubes so they all kinda cook the same. Put enough water in pot to cover the amount of potatoes you are cooking and turn on high. Dump in taters bring back to boil and then turn it down to low. When your largest chunk of tater just starts to get soft shut it down and dump into a collander. Don't rinse all that good stuff off the potatoes.

In a large bowl add: mayo, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro and lemon or lime juice. stir together and let sit for 5 mins or so. dump half of bacon in mix and then potatoes and then other half of bacon and fold everbody together. when you are ready to eat this top with green onion tops. Yum Yum

mikecorn.1

Thanks for the recipe. Love cilantro.
Will be making this one for sure.  :D
Mike

3rensho

That is a must try for me.  Y'all oughta get it posted on the recipe site.  One question - When you say Kraft mayo is that mayo or miracle whip?  I like either in a spud salad.  Thanks

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

squirtthecat

I think this would be awesome in it as well..

http://www.baconnaise.com/

(I use their Bacon Salt on almost everything)

classicrockgriller

I said Kraft mayonaise because that is the brand I buy. They now make the mayo in oilve oil and another in lime. I have not tryed the lime but have used the oilve oil and it reduces the calories.

seemore

Classic, this sounds really good!  You just can't go wrong with cilantro - the more the merrier!

classicrockgriller

there are actually people out there, don't know what planet they are from, that hate cilantro. go see...www.ihatecilantro.com kinda funny webpage.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 25, 2009, 10:04:48 PM
there are actually people out there, don't know what planet they are from, that hate cilantro. go see...www.ihatecilantro.com kinda funny webpage.

Thanks for that link; I'm going to have to check it out later. I can't say I hate cilantro, but I can only take it in moderation. Cilantro gives me a bitter-soapy taste. The odd thing is coriander is my favorite spice, and that is the seed from the cilantro plant.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 26, 2009, 03:00:03 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 25, 2009, 10:04:48 PM

Thanks for that link; I'm going to have to check it out later. I can't say I hate cilantro, but I can only take it in moderation. Cilantro gives me a bitter-soapy taste. The odd thing is coriander is my favorite spice, and that is the seed from the cilantro plant.

Hi there HS,

for the longest time I thought I was alone in this world. Glad to have you on my side on this HS.
BuT I despise parsley.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

classicrockgriller;

I thought it was a good site until they started bad mouthing coriander. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

I'm glad some people don't like it....keeps the price down. I love buying it 4/$1

OU812

classicrockgriller

I love tater salad and this one sounds like something I'd like to try

I'm taking it the 1/4 lb of bacon is after frying

Is that correct?

HawkeyeSmokes

Funny thing about cilantro, seems like people either really like or don't like it at all. The first time I tried it, thought it tasted like soap. Gave it a second try, now can't get enough, go figure.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

1/4 lb of crisp fried crumbled or chopped bacon.... or more. If I make two lbs of potatoes, I use a lb of bacon or what ever I don't eat out of that lb. If i can learn to smoke bacon might kick it up a notch.