Out of the Caney norm!

Started by Caneyscud, November 22, 2009, 06:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

At least once a year, I smoke for all my fly fishing buddies who show up.  I set up behind the fly shop and hold court most of the day.  The fly shop is a department of a locally owned outdoors shop, so I also feed the rest of the employees in the store also.

Menu:
Brisket
Butt
Bologna
Bacon wrapped chicken breasts - 2 ways
Brats
Fatties - I think 7 ways
Barbecued Chicken Gizzards
Smoked meat loaf
Smoked buffalo wings
Chicken Thighs
ABT's - 5 different ways
Moinkballs
Moinkball variance utilizing sausage balls
Barbecued meatballs
Salmon Burgers - as close to vegetarian as I got!
Slaw
and would have had beans, but somebody spilled them - literally!!!

I use this time to do things I wouldn't normally do and have a lot of fun with it - you know things like new rubs, marinades, new meats, new stuffings etc....  My buddies really don't know they are guinea pigs!  They just come and enjoy! 

Brisket and butts were hit with a rub, I'm tinkering with Caney's Chilichocojava rub.  This version had more coffee in it, and it toned down all the other flavors - so more adjusting needed.  Bologna is always fun.  Did a few normal fatties and bacon explosions, but then I experimented.  Never had done the bacon wrapped chicken breasts before - good, but they needed kicking up.  Experiments for the future.  The BBQ chicken gizzards are pretty tasty, but need a little more massaging on technique to be really good.  The moinkballs made with the sausage balls are questionable.  I used Bob Evans frozen premades - there were kinda small - they really needed to be bigger as I think I over did some.  But the idea has potential.  The smoked buffalo wings are new to me.  Decided to to a more traditional style, but not as hot - some of my buds don't like real hot stuff.  Marinated them in Franks Hot Wing Sauce and margarine for a couple of hours and put in the smoker.  When done, dipped them into some more Wing Sauce and butter.  Really good, but definitely needed more heat.

There were left overs, including the other brisket.  That night, I fed homeless and homeless veterans at my church.  Had more fixings such as green beans, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, turnip greens, cornbread, banana pudding, and chocolate/cherry cake.   They left the church this morning pretty full and with big smiles especially after breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, hash browns, and sausage gravy!

Two packer cuts and a butt spooning - is that legal?  Dangit Pachanga, I think I forgot that mustard again! ;D

The mak'ns of a fine sop'n sauce!

4 of a dozen fatties I cooked.  The cut one is a variation of a Bacon Explosion, where I used a brat and some cheese for the inner stuffing!  Pretty good!

Texas sized snack stick!

Smoked Buffalo Wings - Wimpy but good!

Bacon wrapped chicken breasts - I liked the cream cheese stuffed one better.

Smoked meatloaf filled with crumbled bacon, green chilis, and green onions - pretty darn good, and was one of the favorites.  Many had never had a smoked meatloaf before!

A few ABT's left from the first tray of 36 - I made 108.  One of my buddies calls them Mexican Okra!

What was left of the Butt

Not much left of one of the brisket.

Leftover meatballs from moinkball production - ran out of bacon - hate it when that happens.  But then make hay when the sun is shining - pop them in the pan, add some BBQ sauce and smoke them - pretty tasty.

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

Dang CS, That is some mighty fine vittles there!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

seemore

Caney you were a smokin' FOOL this weekend!  Way to go!  I am sure that the homeless enjoyed the "leftovers" you supplies them.  They have probably not had food that good in a long, long time!
And I love the term Mexican Okra!
seemore

classicrockgriller

That was a month's worth of fixins right there, looks great.

Pachanga

QuoteDangit Pachanga, I think I forgot that mustard again!

Caneyscud, you rascal.  What do yo mean "think I forgot".  I saw that bottle of mustard in your photos and it was obviously unopened. I'll bet that Foster's cerveza was opened.  Was it a contributing factor to the forgetfulness?

However, I am sure you made your standard mustard mop and that made up for your memory lapse.
I have every confidence that no matter how or what you smoke, it will turn out great.  

Send a few of those masterfully tied flies my way and all will be forgiven.

Nice looking spread and good looking bark on the little bitty bit of brisket left in the tray (probably would have been gone if you had remembered the mustard!!!). I am going to try some of your fattie recipes from the other thread.  Those are some good ideas.  I'll probably ask a few questions on that thread.

Thanks for posting,

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

ArnieM

That is truly impressive Caney.  Wow!  And all I did this weekend was smoke a crummy roast beef.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Quote from: Pachanga on November 23, 2009, 01:51:08 AM
QuoteDangit Pachanga, I think I forgot that mustard again!

Carneyscud, you rascal.  What do yo mean "think I forgot".  
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!   ;D ;D

Quote from: Pachanga on November 23, 2009, 01:51:08 AMI saw that bottle of mustard in your photos and it was obviously unopened. I'll bet that Foster's cerveza was opened.  Was it a contributing factor to the forgetfulness?

However, I am sure you made your standard mustard mop and that made up for your memory lapse.  
Caught me!  BTW, the Fosters was opened, but only went into the mop!  Historically only Lone Star or Pearl went into the mop!  But couldn't find LS and Foster's was the only quart that was available at WallyWorld.  

Quote from: Pachanga on November 23, 2009, 01:51:08 AM..................Send a few of those masterfully tied flies my way and all will be forgiven.
That can be arranged.  Found some good looking flies for redfish and specks recently that I want to tie.  I only mention the salt water flies because there ain't no fishing water in West Texas or DFW or at least none that don't smell like sulfur!   ;D

Quote from: Pachanga on November 23, 2009, 01:51:08 AMNice looking spread and good looking bark on the little bitty bit of brisket left in the tray (probably would have been gone if you had remembered the mustard!!!).
I was wondering why - I'll have to remember that next time!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  BTW, I purposefully kept the ends of the flats in the hot spot, and was going to make some burnt ends, but totally forgot.  Oh well, guess I'll have them all to myself - dang it!

Trying to come up with a name for the soiree.  How about

Caneyscud's Annual Carnivore Chow-down at Cumberland Transit?

Pachanga

Caneyscud,

QuoteHistorically only Lone Star or Pearl went into the mop!  But couldn't find LS and Foster's was the only quart that was available at WallyWorld.

That's the Texas Spirit.  I have been using a lot of Shiner Bock as well as the aforementioned.  Shiner reduces to a nice glaze on ribs, etc..

For those who are interested, Shiner Bock is brewed in Shiner, Texas (population 2032) at a very small brewery (Spotzel Brewery) with a large following. It was started in 1909.  The web site has an interactive tour of the brewery and even individual photos of its 55 employees. http://www.shiner.com/

Good luck and smoke on Carneyscud,

Pachanga

Caneyscud

Quote from: Pachanga on November 23, 2009, 08:07:44 AM
  Shiner reduces to a nice glaze on ribs, etc..

A reduced beer glaze for ribs - now that sounds good and something I oughta try!  Never thunk about doing that!