40# maple bacon

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, February 19, 2005, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

busy day ,
now MallardWacker hold on to your shorts!!![:D]
 did up 40# pork belly 3 full slabs, removed the skin on 2 sides kicked my but so left the skin on the last one LOL. used butcher packers maple cure  and maple surype, cut into 2# chunks. seald up  into vaccum bags. left some air in the bags, cured for 18 days. washed and soaked for 2 hours in ice water again half way threw. put on racks left out for an hour. then into the smoker for an hour, then 2 1/2 hours of maple smoke until she hit 140 turned off smoker for an hour,

tsquared

That is a well filled rack! (Said the vicar to the actress!)Looks good Rob!
Tom

Cold Smoke

Man alive that looks great!!

<u>To do list</u>

1-Call butcher and order 20 lbs of fresh pork belly

2-Buy more maple pucks

3-Buy Kleenex to wipe drool off chin

So...????? How does it taste???[^][:p][?]

Cold Smoke

jaeger

Looks good Rob!

Nice pictures. Nice rack!!!

Doug

whitetailfan

Looking good SHR,
Ironically, I have about 16lbs of belly curing since Wednesday.  How did yours turn out?  I'm using the same cure, but no syrup.  I was thinking of 10 days or less on the bellies because it is "rubbed two sides" and much thinner than a butt.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

JJC

That does it . . . bacon is next on my list to try [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<b><font size="4"><font color="blue">Holy~Shlamoleeeee!!!</font id="blue"> </font id="size4"> </b>Now were talking Baby!  Gosh that picture has got me hot.  What can I add, that is simply wonderful.

I would like to see you try this on a couple of your next batch.  Make a paiste out of Maple sugar and Maple syrup, make it good and thick and brush it on just before it goes in the smoker, it does add a nice touch.

You'd Be da Man Today..

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

simmy

The bacon looks Marvelous SHR!!!! I would love to give that a try sometime. When you make that much are you able to freeze it and use it at a later date? I bet that makes a fried egg sandwhich taste wonderful[:p][:p][:p][:p]

What is the smallest amount of meat to use to try this out? This is definetly somehting I have to try[:D]

Steve

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />I would like to see you try this on a couple of your next batch.  Make a paiste out of Maple sugar and Maple syrup, make it good and thick and brush it on just before it goes in the smoker, it does add a nice touch.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mallard, I have not yet smoked mine, I might just try this out - question though - I would figure a sugar paste would burn...any problems there???
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simmy</i>
<br />What is the smallest amount of meat to use to try this out? This is definetly somehting I have to try<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You could do as little as a pound, but I consider that a waste of pucks and time.  FYI, the bellies I got were designed to be about the size of a tray.  I would say they averaged 3-1/2 to 4 lbs each.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

SMOKEHOUSE ROB.... looks great. You must have a big family. That is more bacon than  we eat in two years! Next, how about putting this in a type of outline form and posted on the recipe site. Next, take a look at this link. I can add this to the posting.  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1243

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">removed the skin on 2 sides kicked my but so left the skin on the last one LOL<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">What type of knife did you use?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I would figure a sugar paste would burn...any problems there???

No more than a glaze on a ham in the oven.... which is none!

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

olds, i have a friend that owns a resurant that i  smoked salmon about 20lbs evrey two weeks, in trade when i need meat to smoke . i will ask him to order it at his prices, but what seems to happing now is , i asked for about 20lbs pork belly, he doubles it and says oh just do some for me, lol, just 2 last week i wanted about 25 lbs of pork butt, wel i go to pick it up and he gets 60lbs, just last weekend i had 100 lbs of meat in the fridge, made a $hit load of sausage, chorizo, and breafast and itailan links, i guess the best thing is i get to play alot and no charge for the meat.

as far as a knife i used a boning knife and found it was easer to cut in 2lb chunks then take the skin off, but to skin raw pork is tough, the belly that i did leave the skin on . no diferance in taste and once it was smoked to 140 real easy to take the skin off,  butt i do think that it wold be better in a few weeks for that smoke to go in deep like ham , so next time i am going to leave the skin on all of it,
had some blt for dinner, it tasted awsome!!!!!!!!!
next time will try some jalapno bacon.

for anybody that wants  to try this and have a foodsaver buy some gallon size bags put about 2lb chunks in the bag just dump in your cure ad some maple surype, vacuum the bag not all of the way leave just a bit of air in there , and turn the bags over once a week . when ready to smoke wash the bags real good and reuse the bags to put back in,
i soaked the bacon in ice water for about 2 1/2 hours, after each hour changed the water and rinsed the bacon, came out not salty at all.

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

White:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Mallard, I have not yet smoked mine, I might just try this out - question though - I would figure a sugar paste would burn...any problems there???

Remember that you are only smoking to a 140deg, there will be no problem and you are slowly go up to 200, mine did not burn and much seems to melt and roll off.  mine came out nice and toasty light brown.  I am buying a new Digital Camera today, I will have pics in the future...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

whitetailfan

Mallard, Smoke House, and anyone else who can help[:)]
I'm smokin' my sides tonight, help with a couple QnA's...

1)Rob smoked to 140, and that's what Mallard has quoted on his bacon summary thread.  I know MW now takes his loins up to 150+ so he can eat cold if desired.  When I called a butcher today, he said theirs go to 152-155.  So do I listen to the pro, or is 140 OK.  I always plan on cooking in a pan anyway.

2) How much smoke?  I did three hours on the butt bacon I made BBB out of, but I'm concerned about too much for bellies, they are about one-third as thick.  Rob did 2 and a half hours for his FULL Bradley of 40 pounds, I have less than 20lbs.

Thanks for any and all input, I always make a rash decision about when I'm going to smoke, and it leaves little time to post questions and get responses.  Thanks![8D]

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

MallardWacker

White,

I personally think 140 would be fine, I have heard that temp batted around too much in other places to dought it.

Also, with maple I didn't think 4hrs was to much and there is a chance that it won't even take 4hrs to get to 140.  Also, I do what BBB says to do, I don't start my smoke right away, I wait 45mins.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas